1927 Runabout: top, side curtain material?

Home Page Forums General 1927 Runabout: top, side curtain material?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

I am trying to confirm what material was used on the top and side curtains. I have what look like unmolested side curtains and they are made out of long cobra/long grain.

Any help appreciated,

Stephen Murphy

Update:

AACA Library research turned up a Pierce Arrow ’27 Series 80

Data Book which mentions that hard-topped Series 80s came covered in “Limovar” a special water proof product produced by Pierce Arrow.

Any leads of any kind greatly appreciated (also your $0.02).

Stephen”

Hi Steven,

I wish I could help, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen original top/side curtains.

My 1926 Series 33 has an old top, but I think it has been replaced…maybe 60 years ago. It is a black “Pantasote”” type material without a lot of grain in the material. Side curtains match the top.

Perhaps some of the long-time members have seen a Series 80 with the original top…you might try contacting Paul Johnson or Eric Rosenau…although their silence on the issue may indicate they don’t know for sure either.

Good luck!

Paul Morris

Doing upholstery/trimming, I’ve replaced numerous original tops over the years, though none were Pierce Arrows. In the 1920’s, it seems most tops were a type of oilcloth; that is, they were fabric coated with a rubberized material (the terminology of “oilcloth” might not be quite right for this). This rubberized material could have some grain embossed, and thus you would see short and long grain material on different cars. Basically, it was the period equivalent of vinyl and/or naugahyde.

I like originality, but there isn’t really a good top material substitute for the exact original style. There is grained topping available, easy to install on closed car insert tops, but more difficult to work with on large touring car tops. Most tops I’ve done, from brass cars to the 30’s, have been in Haartz cloth, Stayfast, and they are very attractive,functional, and long wearing. Perhaps someone who judges could say if any points are taken off for this material on a show restoration. Best to all David Coco Winchester Va. [email protected]

Stephen,

If you are planning on going to the Gathering at Gilmore in a few weeks, take a look at my 1926 series 80 Town Car on display in the Pierce barn, it is completely original from top to bottom. Also, the original top and side curtains are still located under the front seat. I plan on being there Sunday so maybe we could have a look at it together.

Curtiss

Thanks Curtis. My coworker is going to be in the Kalamazoo area later this week. I understand from your post that your car is displayed permanently at Gilmore? if so, would it be possible for my coworker to pull the material from under the seats, like you mentioned, and photograph it? Thanks.

Tonight I was looking for something else in a binder I set up for my Series 80 with copies of individual authenticity information pages from old PAS Service Bulletins. I failed to pencil the PASB number and page on this one as I usually do, but one pertinent paragraph reads:

“Standard material used on [Series 80] open car tops was ‘Pantasote,’ a trade name for a black coated fabric similar to modern vinyl but not as good. The options were a type of canvas material called Haartz cloth, generally in a tan color, but other colors were available on special order.”

The next paragraph pertains to interiors: “Leather used for interiors was usually black (standard), with tan, red, blue and green as options. Actually, colors other than black and tan were rarely used.”

Comment: A few years ago Eric Haartz (same family company — http://www.haartz.com) — began to reproduce ‘Pantasote’ and may still be offering it. I obtained some free samples from him for consideration for use on my 1922 Paige 4-p touring (that top is still not done), and the one sample that matched perfectly the original top on my Paige had an inside surface of a cavalry twill.

George

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.