After the trip to buffalo where I leaned the engine out because of ethonal fuels screwing up my tank. The block was cracked in 6 places across the exhaust valve seats. I had the block patched but several of the seats were pretty badly recessed. At the time I used the origional springs but had to remove some material on the valves to get the adjusters into working range.
Since then I have put new oversized valves in place and got the spring compression to the correct length. That was the reason for the article about setting spring compression published in the arrow driver. I am going to write another article about the oversized valves.
I don’t think I’ll have any more problems with valves floating but It seems that the 354 gears felt better with the clark 4 speed.