1931 Series 43 Passenger Heater

Home Page Forums Body 1931 Series 43 Passenger Heater

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

The picture is 2.17 Mb, will not transfer… I will try to dumb it down and send it later.

4th time is a charm…

Another option folks might want to consider if you are not quite up to the effort to install a hot water heater, is the electric ceramic car heaters currently available. For the most part $20-50.

I used to own a 1926 Packard Eight Phaeton and living here in Vermont I drove it for as long as I dared push the season. Driving an open car in 20-degree weather can get chilly, and I often wondered if there was a way I could take all the heat pouring from under the hood and get it into the passenger area. It was being wasted through the hood vents anyway. . .

That’s beside the point, but what I’m getting at is that eventually I used my electric motorcycle gloves and an electric vest hooked onto a spare 12 volt battery, just set on the floor. Wow ! Toasty warm ! Heat where I needed it.

I never used a ceramic heater but they are readily available, and if you got an Optima 12 volt YELLOW TOP battery (because they are small and light weight), capable of deep cycle power delivery, you could just slide the battery somewhere inconspicuous, put the ceramic heater on the floor by your feet and have pretty much all the heat you want. Just put the battery on a charger when you get home. For that matter, maybe even a 12 volt motorcycle battery would be enough for your needs.

No clue as to how long the battery power would last, but unless you are driving eight hours days, used on a moderate heat setting it would get you around in relative comfort. At least better than being cold all the time.

— Luke

Bob, that appears to be the same location as the two firewall openings in my ’31. I suppose the location of the openings depends on the design of the heater; my car’s firewall has one opening between the two which appear to be “factory original””; I think perhaps the extra hole had to be made to accommodate the heater used. I will try to find a heater that will fit.”

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.