Badge Identification

Home Page Forums General Badge Identification

• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by .
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I am not familiar with the early stuff. Is the badge shown in the link for a Great Arrow Radiator? Either way, please educate me.

Thanks,

John

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-PIERCE-ARROW-AUTOMOBILE-BRASS-EMBLEM-RADIATOR-BADGE-/281802940655?hash=item419cc3a0ef&vxp=mtr

G’day John

Looks by the pin on the back for a badge clip to be fairly modern cap or hat badge.

I was wondering about that piece also. It’s funny how one gets a “feel” for an object, whether or not it’s a genuine piece of Pierce memorabilia.

For some reason, this item “feels” wrong. It doesn’t look right for a radiator badge, it’s too big (2 inches across) for a pin, from the pictures it looks like an imperfect casting (the details aren’t sharp)…

Interesting to know if someone can positively identify it…

I agree it doesn’t have the right look of feel. Stuff that early is out of my normal area of interest, but I still like to look and pick up new information.

It looks to be the center that would be added to the caps on a Great Arrow that somebody has converted to a pin of some sort.

I agree with Ed–it looks too “Cheap”” finished for a quality original Pierce item.”

What about a truck radiator or chassis or something?

It is a cast replica of an early hubcap center first used in the 1903, two cylinder models. It was still in use in 1906. For a close up of the original, please look at Arrow 13-3, page 11. Note that the original is die stamped brass.

Thank you all for your input. Like others have mentioned, I just didn’t know what to make of the part.

For a view of an original hubcap, please see the link below (1903 Pierce at the Hershey auction)

http://www.rmsothebys.com/hf15/hershey/lots/1903-pierce-fourth-model-stanhope/1077997

Interesting photos, John.

It would seem to me that all that nickel plating should be brass.

Bill

I’d be willing to bet the nickel plating is correct. Remember, Pierce was making bicycles, which have plenty of plating, so it would be a continuance of that practice….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.