Broadcloth

Home Page Forums Body Broadcloth

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

The discussion below about re-upholstering an open car in leather has gotten me started looking for wool broadcloth for my ’35 845. I am thinking of subtly striped broadcloth per the original. I am not sure but looking at the LeBaron Bonney website it appears the proper term is hairline. Currently Hirsch’s website doesn’t appear to have any heavy weight striped broadcloth.

In the past I recall seeing advertisements from Hirsch regarding striped broadcloth availability. Does anybody have any advice for sources and availability of broadcloths?

Any comments regarding LeBaron Bonney vs Hirsch? Hirsch doesn’t show prices but has distinctions for heavier material for seats and lighter for door panels/headliner.

Thanks, Jim

Jim, the best way to approach the subject is with your upholsterer. Most prefer certain manufacturers because of how they fit and work the material. Try and figure out your colors and patterns, but let the guy doing the job help you make good decisions to save time, money, and effort. I used Ford material in my 1936 1602 because it was close, a good product, and easily available in the future if I needed more than my extra on hand. LeBarron Bonny is who I sourced my stuff from.

I believe Hirsch passed away this year at around 90. He was still involved

in his business though not in a full time capacity.

The upholsterer I have used in the past has me provide the material. The discussion below about 50-75k for an upholstery job has me looking at what options I have for cost as I am not going to spend more on just the upholstery than the car will be worth. It may show up for sale for parts if that is the case, although it has always been just good enough that it shouldn’t be parted out provided someone like me is willing to put in the sweat equity at zero dollars/hour in lieu of sitting on the couch watching football.

I am jumping the gun a bit here as I am a long ways from the upholstery shop, but if the material isn’t always available I may need to buy it well in advance of needing it – like so many other parts.

Jeff Hirsch got back to me immediately and is asking if I might be referring to Packard striped material. What I have in mind I have seen on several Packards. The sad remains of my Pierce-Arrow fabric appears to have been very similar with a visible vertical striping pattern. Attached is a picture of a friends beautiful ’37 Packard with what I have in mind.

I am extremely picky about colors – I have mixed at least 25 paint samples for the exterior and still haven’t settled on the final combination but they will be blues with a gray or blue-gray upholstery fabric being appropriate.

Jim

The Packard striped cloth is available in two different styles from Jenkins in North Carolina. He’s out of one style, waiting on a run of it…..

Jim,

The price I quoted was less than a friend paid at a restoration shop for

a correct top (lined), rug and diamond tufted done in leather, on a teens

38HP. You just can’t go to an upholsterer and expect that they have the

skill, knowledge and experience to perform a job on an early Pierce

that will improve its value. The same can be said about newer ones but

they should be easier than the diamond tufted ones. Closed cars should be

a lot less. Headliners should be a lot less than preparing bows, the

purchase of the top material and lining material. and the labor to

install them, not to mention any metal plating needed. Mr. Coco is an

expert and if you kindly ask him, he may give you a ballpark figure

that I would be ill-equipped to offer. Who is your upholsterer in Reno?

Did you consult the National Auto Museum curator as to which upholsterer

he would recommend?

The original 34/35 Pierce closed cars I’ve seen had a solid color broadcloth, either brown or gray.

That said, a striped material could be had, I’m sure. Jenkins has two nice striped materials available, as used in the 30’s Packards, and one is $80/yard while another is $100/yard.

A complete sedan interior for that size car should run in the $12,000-$15,000 price range. You’ll have $2000 in material, a 34/35 Pierce sedan takes 15-18 yards of material. My figures include taking all seat springs apart, new socks sewn and springs inserted, so everything is new. It does NOT include any chrome or woodgrain on interior pieces. If you need to rechrome interior pieces and have the windowand dash mouldings woodgrained, you could probably add another $8,000-$10,000.

My 1935 Model 845 has all of the original upholstery. The material has a small striped pattern as used by Pierce-Arrow for quite a few years.

Thanks for the responses. 12-15 is more in line with what I have been anticipating for a good quality local shop (we just closed a local business and very much in tune with giving local business first shot. It is still a few multiples more than I paid to have my Packard done in 1986 (multiples above basic inflation). It was done from pictures – I had nothing left except the rear seat squab.I am surprised that a sedan would be significantly less than an open car – seems like there is more detail and as much total yardage involved.

I already have the woodgrain done, I won’t send the last bits of door hardware chrome out for replate until I have finished repairing and refitting the doors.

Paul, thanks for your response on the striped pattern. I was going to ask for pictures but remembered your car was featured in an Arrow. I am looking at it now – Series 11 Model 2. That subtle stripe pattern is clearly what my car had, I think it is more subtle than the Packard striped but will start getting samples from where I can.

Jim

My 1928 model S81 has origional striped pattern.

I suppose the striped broadcloth was a personal preference since my ’29 ED limo had solid colored cloth.

The interior is original and it is a lighter blue, solid cloth.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.