chroming

Home Page Forums General chroming

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Is it recommended to have a part coppered prior to having the nickel plating done when you chrome a part. I am having a part chromed and I was asked it I wanted it coppered first. They have never asked before so I was looking for some advise. Thanks.

Syd,

My plating guy told me long ago that to chrome plate something, first in needed to be plated in copper, then in nickel and then in chrome because chrome does not adhere to copper, but does to nickel.

My Series 80 is a nickel car and was previously plated in chrome.

i returned it to the nickel car that it was when it first left the PAMCC.

Peter

Syd, did you find a water jacket replacement or did you repair your current one?

Often a part is plated in copper several times, with lot’s of polishing, or finishing of the copper layers between each layer of copper. The copper is used like a filler or ‘putty’ to fill rust pits, scratches etc.

With the many layers of copper to make the surface as perfect as possible, then Nickel is plated on the part. The nickel will not cover any flaws in the surfaces, but will make the flaws more noticeable.

The nickel layer provides the silver-color bottom layer for the final plated layer of Chrome. The chrome layer adds a blue-black color to the warm silver-gold color of the Nickel layer.

Chrome does not tarnish, and this is the reason it is used over the Nickel layer.

Nickel has a nice, warm golden ‘glow’. Chrome is cold, a harsh blue-black shine over the warm Nickel.

Syd: the plater might be asking if you want to have him polish the part to achieve the needed near-perfect surface condition before plating, or to copperplate the part and polish the copper instead of the parent metal of the part?

Greg Long

Along the lines of what Greg is saying, I suspect the shop guy wasn’t looking at the part when he asked about copper, or he would have been able to judge himself whether the copper fill was required.

John

Syd,

To add to Greg’s comments, chrome is also more durable than is nickel, as every time you polish your beautiful nickel, you remove some of it.

Not so with chrome.

However, Syd, this current line of commentary has no relation to your original question.

Yes, you need a good, multiple layer, well polished copper base.

Peter

The copper nickel chrome three layer process is the correct one to use IF you want a final chrome finish. Each of the metals has a certain compatibility (it is actually an electrical property) with each other, starting with the base pot metal, cast or sheet steel. It is much like touching a fork to an amalgam filling. If you skip from steel to nickel, it won’t finish as well or last as long.

Rechromed bumpers for used cars were available years ago (and may still be available) with just nickel and chrome. The result was not satisfactory, and especially in the Northeast subject to rapid and destructive rust. Acid copper, was always used for heavy pitting, and as a means to repair rough pieces. Plate acid copper, buff and polish until the desired surface was achieved. Quite frankly, if a plater asked me if I wanted copper first, I would question the overall quality of his product.

Tony,

Excellent comment about the competence of a Plater.

Peter

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.