Help and advice needed.

Home Page Forums General Help and advice needed.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 50 total)
  • Author

This is a post seeking help, advice and guidance. I just dragged home a Pierce that has been stored with another car for 46 years in a warehouse.

My friend who negotiated for over a year on the purchase was kind enough to allow me to take the Pierce while he took the Cad v-16. The warehouse was in a dry and moderate climate so the cars did well.

I do not know if I should sell the Pierce as is, get it running and then sell, restore for a driver or do a full restoration job. I have other cars and other Pierces so this would not be my first restoration.

The car is unknown to the club (I’m told). It is a 1935 v-12 convertible roadster. It was well used before it was parked, but is quite solid and complete. I am sure I will discover more missing, but as of now I see that it has sealed beams instead of the hard to find lenses. Serial is 3120059, engine 405125 and body 122 (body 22). Thanks George Teebay for your help here.

I am unfamilar with Pierce v/12’s other than looking at them, so I am

open to any suggestions, pro and con.

Johnny

please post some photos.

Rick

Here you go

Hmmm, guess I need help posting photos too.

If you want to email them to me I will post them for you.

Perfect. Thank you. My email is [email protected]

Hello Johnny.

Congratulations on acquiring such a rare and desirable car.!

For a ‘sale as is’ you need to do or have done a rough assessment of what ‘is there’ for a buyer to work with.

A few examples of what i’d look for, and be concerned with:

Does the engine rotate? or is it locked up/ seized ?

If seized, is this why the car was parked? [did it have a serious mechanical problem then? ]

or if seized, is it ‘minor’, [ will it break free and rotate with a dose of penetrant in each cylinder bore etc? ]

A general look-over of king pins, spring shackles, body and engine mounts.

a close look at the wood framework supporting the doors, and the convertible top mechanisms.

[ will the car need a lot of wood framing replaced, or is it usable ? ]

An evaluation of the plated parts and the pot-metal die-cast parts; Are they in restorable condition, usable if

you don’t look too close? or are replacements needed ??

I have found that an ‘as is’ car sells MUCH faster if the engine is running. Even if it still needs bearings, pistons, valves and re-babblitting, etc..if it runs it sells. if it’s stuck, it sits.

Resize your photos to be less than 1mb. Then they will post on the site. one photo per post.

Johnny; you are welcome to call me, or email me. My info is in the Roster on this site and in the latest paper rosters. My email changed two years ago. The phone number is good.

Best of luck with this find !!

Greg Long

Here are the photos that John sent.

She is gorgeous and I would hate to see this car not be put back on the road.

Great car. That’s the third 1935 V-12 Roadster to come out of a barn/garage in the last five years. The color it is trying to be is a factory color called canary yellow. It’s too “dark” but several of thr cars, including the New York and Chicago Show cars were in Canery Yellow. Good luck with the sale, it’s a fantastic car and a great driver.

Not sure I am selling…….just getting advice. Looks like it was originally

maroon, not yellow. Will report more as I look it over. Obviously these are

the before pictures with all 46 years of dirt and debris.

I appreciate the help posting the photos.

How many 35 12 convertibles were built?

Headlight lenses arn’t hard to find…….just impossible. That said it’s a great running and driving car, having put several thousand miles on an identicle car. In fact, in my humble opinion I think it’s one of thr best pre war cars ever built reguardless of make…..and I have driven them all, extensively. The fender spear is missing, no big deal, as they are available, and zi may have a extra set. Parking light lenses are also very difficult. A few other small differences from 1934 but basically the same as the year before. Not very many were made, and 22 for the body number probably means the started 1935 with body number 20 for both eights and twelves. Robert Brown has the last one made in 1935, but I can’t remember the number. I’m sure he will chime in.

What’s the going price for 1935 headlight lenses and parking light lenses?

Tony, you ought to know, you bought a set of them from me in 2012 !!

Greg Long

I’m pretty sure the 1935 sequential body numbers for low-production body styles begins with 100 (not 101, as we might think). That is CERTAINLY the case for production Silver Arrows. Additionally, the P (conv coupe) code was used for both 8s and 12s. So this is the 23rd conv coupe (both 8s and 12s) for 1935. When I looked up this info for Johnny, I recall that the highest sequential body number known to PAS indicated 33 units. If so, at least 33 conv coupes were made, total of 8s and 12s.

Congratulations, Johnny, a magnificent find! Would love to see at at your convenience.

Hi Johnny,

Great car!

P-A’s body #’s are confusing. From my records, there were at least 74 total 1934 & 1935 V12 Convertible Coupes built. Contrary to what George and Ed stated earlier, the code 338-P-xxx was used for both 1934 and 1935 V12 convertible coupes, NOT for both 1935 8’s plus 1935 12’s. The 1935 V12 conv. coupes probably restarted at 100, so we both agree that there were 33 1935 conv coupes made, and yours is #23.

(The 1934 and 1935 8-cyl both used code 238-P-xxx and numbered 1 thru 32 (’34) and 100 thru 133 (’35) for a total of 66.)

There are at least 9 1935 12’s known, now including yours, which was not previously known.

Love to see it in person.

Bob

Greg,

I was a young man back when I bought those lenses. This is now. Besides,

you didn’t answer my question.

Tony

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.