Shop exhaust problems

Home Page Forums Engine Shop exhaust problems

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Have any of you guys built a system to pump your cars exhaust fumes out of the shop? My V-12 can fill the shop with exhaust very fast and I need to find a way to get it out. I am thinking of something like 2 or 3 inch aluminum tubing and a squirrel cage fan. Maybe something from Harbor freight. Don’t know what the cfpm is for a V-12 , but it’s a lot. Thanks again, Doug Vogel

Theoretically a V-12 will swallow around ~40 CFM of cold air at 1000 rpm fast idle, however the high temperature exhaust could be 3x that amount due to the low density. 3000 rpm would multiply by 3 again basically. Multiply by 3 again if you have it running at wide open throttle at 3000 rpm fixed to a dyno. The typical cheap squirrel cage won’t take the direct heat of the exhaust for long. You need to seal a metal tube around the exhaust pipe and not let the exhaust mix with the surroundings until it is well outside the garage – no blower needed but you still should have some fresh air ventilation.

I have a large evaporative cooler with a large volume squirrel cage similar to a furnace blower in my garage and a sealed air inlet through the wall that dumps outside air into the garage. If I open the garage door it makes for a one way flow path to ventilate out. That plus a tube sealed to the exhaust pipe going out past the garage door gets rid of exhaust fumes.

Jim

You don’t need a fan. Just a hose that can clamp around exhaust, and cut an appropriate hole in garage door or wall to run hose out (3 inch or so). The engine is very capable of pushing the exhaust another 10 or 15 feet through the hose. This was, and is, the set up in a well known restoration shop, works fine….

It pretty much depends on how elaborate you want to get with your setup.

I’ve seen this brand used in commercial shops before.

http://www.fumeavent.com/car-exhaust-removal

Doug,

I have two 10 to 12-foot lengths of flexible rubber ribbed flex hose that has a steel spring molded into the ribs.

I screwed the one hose into the other and secured it with a big wire tie.

The ID is the OD of my exhaust pipe, plus a tad.

I slide it on to the tail pipe and secure it in place with a exhaust clamp.

I believe that I bought it at an Auto Parts store, as I had seen hundreds of similar setups in repair shops.

I just open the door and run the hose outside about 6 or 8-feet and direct it away from the door (checking the directions of the wind).

It works fine and is relatively inexpensive.

Note, that it does leave a bit of black residue on the tailpipe, but that is easily removed, if you are concerned that a tailpipe has some black crud on it.

Peter

Thank you all so much . You’re suggestions and input are just what I need. I only need to go a short distance from the tail pipe to the wall so it sounds like a high temp. Piece of those is all I need and my wife won’t complain that I smell like exhaust when I come in from the shop. Doug

Well, shucks, I see you an Amazon Prime, and raise you a McMaster Carr…

Seriously, get an account with M-C, usually order one day and arrive the next, although with the current issues with shipping more like 2 days or so…but they…have…everything! (well, a lot anyway…)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#exhaust-hose/=12gvrja

David,

I agree wholeheartedly about McMaster-Carr.

I just googled for Rubberized Flex Auto Exhaust Hose, and Amazon popped up, so I went with the link to demonstrate what we were suggesting.

For you Gents who are relatively new to re-doing old cars, McMaster-Carr is the place to go fro a ton of stuff.

Thanks for the reminder David,

Peter

http://www.mcmaster.com/#exhaust-hose/=12gzp4b

Thank you both David and Peter, I am going to check out the auto stores in town today and if I don’t find what I need then I will order a hose. My tail pipe is 2″ ID Thanks”

Doug,

ID or OD?

The hose fits on the outside of the pipe.

Peter

Peter, The tail pipe is 2″ ID and 2 1/4 “” OD. There must be a way to secure a 2″” rubber hose on a 21/4″” pipe or I will have to use a 2 1/2″” hose. Any advise ?”

Doug,

I would buy a hose that slides easily over the exhaust pipe and also purchase a exhaust pipe clamping U-Bolt to fit over the hose.

Slide the hose on and tighten the clamp and you are ready to rock-and-roll without leaks.

Peter

http://www.mcmaster.com/#exhaust-clamps/=12hq72o

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.