speedometers

Home Page Forums Chassis speedometers

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by .
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I am working on getting my instruments in shape for my 1930 Model A Pierce. I have two speedometers, one Waltham and one Northeast. I have a speedometer cable that fits the transmission on one end and the Waltham speedo on ussue the Northeast speedometer. I have seen other 1930 Model As with this speedometer. However, the cable doesn’t fit it.

Question 1: I am wondering whether both types were used in 1930 Model As, and what kind of adapter is needed to attach the cable to the Northeast speedometer.

Question 2: I have replaced the original ring and pinion, which was a 4.417 ratio, with a Phil Bray set, which is 3.83. Where can I get an adapter for the speedo cable that will make the speedo read correctly?

Thanks.

Arnold: When I put the Phil Hill rear end in my ’31 I had the same situation. Phil Marshall owned a large truck terminal. Apparently they changed drive trains a lot. You need to find the adaptor that attaches to the cable, and then you adjust it as you go down the road. Mine came from some large truck repair place.

Thanks, Tony.

Clark Brothers Instruments offers ratio boxes of a wide variety. I think one of theirs will meet my need.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.