Winter grille/stone guard

Home Page Forums General Winter grille/stone guard

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Does anyone know who has or is making the decorative stone grille guard? I have also been told it is called a winter grille?

Thanks, Rick

Mind what you buy. Someone in Pa. was making them years ago, and I bought one for an 833 Packard phaeton. The attaching brackets are the most important part. These were poorly mad copies of the originals, and mounting the stone guard was all but impossible. Also keep in mind that the wire pattern can be little “squares” or a very pretty woven pattern. Mind you know what you are buying, and check with someone who has one in hand. I don’t know whether 1929 offered the chrome plated louvers, but that is the way I would go.

Plated louvres were a 29 option for an extra 16 bucks. I wish it was that price now!!-Jak.

There would be no doubt in my mind (especially on a complete restoration) to plate the louvers. On my 31, when the car was parked the massive chrome front looked great. I was not sure they were available on a 29 or not.

In 1929,stone guards were available for many makes of cars from firms like

Globe and others.If you look at trade magazines from that time,there are ads for them.The car dealers stocked them.The original ones that I have seen for a 1929-1931 Pierce Arrow were held at the top by a knob that was attached to the upper portion of the radiator shell which of course requires the drilling of a hole.This is something I will not do today.

My personal opinion is, on a Pierce, less is better. I bought a stone guard for my ’31 phaeton, propped it up in front of the radiator, took one look, and promptly sold it to someone else.

I did the same on my Model C just to see the effect. I also had pushed the number of headlights to the max, and it was just too much. Chrome louvers are more beautiful than the wire grill of the stone guard, anyway! I got awards for “the most beautiful car”” three times.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.