1242 7 Passanger Sedan Heads To Auction

Home Page Forums Buy/Sell 1242 7 Passanger Sedan Heads To Auction

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

For sale at auction on August 22nd, 2015 at the Owls Head Transportation Museum. For more info visit http://www.owlshead.org or call the Museum at 207-594-4418

This 1933 Pierce-Arrow 1242, Serial # 3525042 Engine # 355159, is one of just two seven passenger sedans on the current Pierce-Arrow Registry, a total of 157 were produced. Beginning in the early 1990s, this vehicle received a decade-long, concours quality restoration. The engine is a 461.8 c.i. / 175 h.p. V-12. The vehicle’s meticulous interior is entirely Bedford Wool with leather piping and Wilton carpet. During the paint process 13 coats of paint — eight color and five clear coat — were painstakingly applied. Included with this car are rare to find,

original components including the original hood ornament and glass headlight lenses and Tripp lights. This restoration was a personal labor of love by a well-known and winning Shelby Trans- Am and Group 44 race team driver. No detail was spared and the result is this truly stunning classic. The vehicle is multiple award winner including AACA 1st Junior in Ft. Lauderdale in Feb. 2000, AACA First Senior Dureya winner in Winchester VA May 2000, 2001 participant in the Cocours d’Elegance of the Eastern United States and best of show at Rhinebeck in 2007.

http://owlshead.org/auctions/detail/1933-pierce-arrow-v-12-1242-7-passanger-sedan

There’s also a 1927 commerical body Pierce that could be a bit more affordable and just the ticket for running to the hardware store & what not.

http://owlshead.org/auctions/detail/1927-pierce-arrow-commercial

That sedan is stunning. I’ve never been a fan of clear coat, but hard to argue with the look of that paint job. And, as one who’s owned a V-12, there’s nothing to compare with the power and feel of same.

Fabulous car, am sure it will find a good home……

There’s nothing like a twelve. Well…….maybe two of them!

Eddie: I understand your love for the 12. However, if it cost me $25000 to do an eight 10-12 years ago, what does it cost to do a 12? $50000?

Eddie: I understand your love for the 12. However, if it cost me $25000 to do an eight 10-12 years ago, what does it cost to do a 12? $50000?

I looked at that ‘Commercial Body’ Pierce last summer at Owls Head. I really doubt if it is an original commercial body. Too much of it looks or is new.

No doubt that the drivetrain, engine etc are Pierce, but the body looks like it was put on the chassis in the 50’s or 60’s.

Twelves are expensive. Tuning them is more of a hassle. A lot of parts are very hard to find. When touring, the issue of carburetor heat soaking and not starting hot are worse than on the 8’s. And the added weight of the 12 makes the steering heavy..

Take an eight, either 366 or 385 Cubic Inches, 125hp up to 150hp in later models [from raised compression mostly], and compare to the 398cuin/429cuin/462cubic inch v12 engines at 140hp/150hp/175hp.

Much of the extra torque and horsepower are used to pull along the extra weight of the 12.

I prefer to have the lighter steering.

But of course, if a great deal on a V12 comes along, I’d not hesitate very long on purchasing it.. Like any Pierce, 6, 8 or 12, they are all wonderful cars.

I’ll paint up and chrome the trim on my scrap V12 engine, put it on a stand in the showroom so I can say I have a V12 Pierce. LOL

Greg Long

I love my v-12 and have not had much trouble with heat after I learned to use pure water in the radiator. I also installed an electric fuel pump. Also thank you to almost everyone in this post for your help and advice in the restoration of my 1933 1247. The big v-12 attracts so much attention on tour that you think twice before leaving it unattended. Nothing like a V-12 Doug

It’s interesting to reflect back to the early through late 1930’s why well-to-do people paid a premium price for a V-12 in the first place, over an eight, that is.

Many would agree the sole reason for a twelve cylinder car purchase was so you didn’t have to shift gears so often. Idle a Twelve down to a slow walking pace in 3rd, step on the gas, and away it accelerates like an automatic. Those of us with 8’s can’t do that without shifting into 2nd and then back into 3rd.

We’re fortunate today that twelve cylinder Pierces, Packards, Cadillacs, Lincolns, Auburns, Franklins and others were purchased in the darkest days of the Great Depression and many survive to this day.

John, your 1242 is beautifully restored, good luck with your auction, I hope it finds a great home with a PAS member.

George & Mary Slankard might well have given this car (unrestored) to me when I was a young kid if I’d paid attention and evidenced interest in Pierce-Arrows. But I was young & stupid! (Now old & stupid?) This car has a very well known and interesting history. When they owned it George was Publisher of Cars & Parts magazine and Mary drove it as a second car. It is now probably in better condition than when new after John’s meticulous restoration. A truly exceptional car that will win long steep hillclimbs in 3rd gear against any 8 regardless of what gears they use. Torque is the real tangible performance difference.

V12’s were available in the thirties for prestige and comfort. A

goodly proportion of them were chauffer driven as a reflection of

the owner’s position in society. If shifting gears was a concern,

most of the owners had multiple cars in their garage with performance

to suit their whims. Anybody for an owner driven Stutz DV32 156HP

Super Bearcat, Supercharged Auburn, Cord or Duesenberg? An Auburn or

Packard V12 Speedster might do? And lastly, all those foreign shifty

cars that only “The 400″” could afford.”

John McComb, the 1242’s owner, is interviewed about this car in this YouTube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTpcsFhfVdI

Extremely beautiful car and great interview.

Good luck with the sale.

Hopefully it finds a deserving home.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.