1603 Fuel tank and sending unit information needed

Home Page Forums Body 1603 Fuel tank and sending unit information needed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello all,

I feel I should introduce myself first. My name is Chris Williams, and at the end of July, I purchased a 1936 1603 V12, and am glad I joined the Society due to the wealth of information that is available.

Now to my question. I am needing to restore the fuel tank, due to not only rust inside the tank, but also the flexible copper bellows from the fill pipe to the tank has multiple cracks in it and is seeping fuel. I feel this pipe is not salvageable unfortunately. Does anyone references to a company that would do this? In my opinion, the tank will need to be opened, blasted, coated and then it will be usable. Also, for the bellows that has approximately 15 cracks, what would be a suitable replacement? While I always look to keep a car original, safety trumps originality, so all suggestions are welcome.

Finally, the fuel sending unit was stuck to the floor of the tank, and the cork floats have seen better days. So they will require replacement if anyone has sources for them. I also would like to verify the sending unit resistor is correct before reinstalling, does anyone know what the Ohm reading to ground at full and empty for the level unit would be?

Thank you for any and all help and suggestions,

Chris Williams

Hello Chris.

For the copper bellows, I’d remove it, and replace that section of the filler neck with rubber hose that is made for continuos contact with gasoline. The ’33 fuel tanks had a similar bellows, and most leak. Several ’34 cars I’ve looked at that appear original have a rubber hose instead of the copper bellows..

The cork float can be replaced with a modern float from the Model A folks. It is installed over the wire like the cork float was.

I’m not sure of the correct ohm readings, when I tested my ’29 electric fuel level sender, I just hooked it to the car’s wiring, grounded the sender’s mounting plate with a jumper wire, then moved the lever up and down and watched the fuel gauge to see if it responded.

Hope the above info helps.

Greg

For a driver the rubber hose is a good option. The factory set up can split and leak from vibration or removed / installation. john Cislak had a filler neck on the shelf at his shop several months ago, he may still have it. Ed.

Gas Tank Renu, did mine many years ago and I have no complaints. There is one in Waller Texas.

Houston

Gas Tank Renu-USA

Hart Radiator Service

20123 FM 362 N.

Waller, Texas 77484 (936) 372-9107

Don Hart

Betty Hart

Here’s another vote for Don Hart’s Tank Renu in Waller, TX. Two years ago they restored one of the tanks in my 1965 S-type Jaguar saloon. Good work done in a timely manner.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.