1919 48HP water pump

Home Page Forums Engine 1919 48HP water pump

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

During the maintenance of the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Limousine we found the water pump shaft badly worn. Before having a new shaft machined I was hoping someone might have a spare to sell. Any leads appreciated.

Thanks,

Al Morkunas

Make sure you pick the right shaft material. I once used a stainless

steel that didn’t last for 200 miles.

There are a LOT of different types of stainless, it’s not just one alloy…..and I think that might be the issue…I know this from years in the food processing business, when different alloys can really get one in trouble…..304, 316, 304L (low carbon), and so forth.. stainless is actually a soft metal, but it work hardens quickly on the surface, so anyone cutting stainless with a short tooth saw thinks “wow, hard”, when actually you need to cut UNDER the work hardened surface…so a shaft that’s not prepared correctly, or from the correct alloy, for a water pump won’t corrode, but it may wear quickly…

David, that’s an interesting post on SS.

Best-John

My experience with sailing vessels and the stainless on them taught me that with stainless, the faster you tried to drill (work) it, the more difficult it was to drill.

Drill fast (work harden) and one burns up bits. If you slow down on the drilling, it cuts easily.

I have a number of burnt titanium drill bits that show the effect of over eager drilling, as they are now JUNK.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.