1926 Series 33 – 1952-1997

Home Page Forums General 1926 Series 33 – 1952-1997

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I don’t want to steal Dave’s thread about the 1953 picture…..but I can beat that…with an older Pierce!

This is a photo taken of my 1926 Series 33 when Paul Whipple acquired it in 1952.

Here is another picture taken ten years later at the 1962 PAS meet.

Now one from 1989 when former PAS president Marc Ralston purchased the car….

One taken shortly after I got the car…about 1997.

My God, Paul!

Who is that hippie cowboy with the beard?

Is he really a Pierce-Arrow owner?

Sweet Motorcar.

Way cool car. Thanks for the hostory. It alsways makes the car that much more cool. :)

Very cool, you could have stolen! Great that you have the history of a wonderful car….

Thanks, Paul. As long as we now have a thread about old photos of dual-valve Series 33’s, here’s one of our car from a postcard sent by Frederick Bissell of Dubuque, IA, to Henry Austin Clark while Bissell owned the car back in the 1940’s and early 50’s. Clark the used the photo to illustrate 1922 Pierce-Arrows in the “Standard Catalog of American Cars 1809-1942” which he co-wrote with Beverly Rae Kimes. I have both spoken and corresponded with Bissell’s son John who is my age, and who well-remembers the car from his youth. A few years ago, John found a brass key tag that went with the car,and was kind enough to send it along.

Here’s the note on the back of Bissell’s card to H A Clark. You can see he’s trying to find a substitute for a weak starter armature. One of the first things I had to do when I bought the car was finish that job.

In the early 50’s, Bissell sold the car to C. R. Bradshaw of Indiana, whose family is shown here in a photo published in a 1953 “Horseless Carriage Gazette”. I’ve been able to speak with one of the boys in the photo who also remembers the car well. Bradshaw was one of the founders of the Rolls Royce Club of America. In the mid 50’s he sold the car to Rob Lyons, which is when it first began to show up at PAS meets and in PAS literature. Bradshaw’s son remembers that his father kept detailed files on all his cars, but no one has been able to find the file for this one. Too bad………

If my memory serves me, the photo in the snow served as an illustration in the Horseless Carriage Gazette during the ’50’s or ’60’s, regarding an article about the car hobby 100 years later.

Paul, what a nice car, are we going to see it in person at the 2016 PAS meet in Texas ??

You are lucky to have such a long pictorial history of your car. Most of us are lucky to have just one image of our cars with a previous owner.

Greg Long

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.