1927 Series 80 Head Color

Home Page Forums Engine 1927 Series 80 Head Color

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi, everyone. In getting my Series 80 cylinder head ready to install, I gave it a shot in the glass bead blaster and uncovered enough gray paint to say it was originally painted gray. Of course, like all the other Series 80 heads I’ve seen (admittedly not a great number) my car’s head was black when I started. It also had been painted without all that much prep because there was everything from rust to grease under there.

Thoughts?

I’ve seen some gray engines, but most are black. I’d return it to black.

Greg

Randy,

Mine is Black and looks good against the the Engine Block.

Ken

Either black or machinist’s gray would be correct. If the head is gray, the block should also be gray.

I painted the head black; I am not thrilled with the level of finish but it is quite black at least. I pondered whether to spend time grinding the surface before painting; filling, etc. but decided against it as my Car is a driver.

The engines were never smoothed over, filled or polished, if you ever see one like that you will realize that it is just WRONG.

Some of the other brand cars, that OHV valve covers, that could be ‘finished’ did so, and look nice.

But a polished flat head doesn’t look right..

To dress up the engine compartment, keep the exhaust manifold from rusting using ‘Rutgers’ ‘Stove Polish’, it’s made for coal and wood burning stoves/heaters.. it leaves a nice, even matt-black/gray finish and lasts a long time..

Keep the intake manifold clean, either natural or painted.

You can have the water jacket plated nickel, and keep it clean and polished.

Keep the aluminum crankcase aluminum, and keep it clean.. the contrast with the cylinder block looks good.

Do not use any Stainless Steel hose clamps on the water hoses. use period correct wire-type clamps or some form of a screw-type clamp, not the ‘rack and pinion’ modern clamps..

The engine compartment looks very presentable when it is correct, and is clean..

Greg Long

Randy,

I think this was discussed on an earlier thread, but use Glyptal red paint on the interior of the oil pan and the oil exposed part of the crankcase.

This will keep the oil from migrating through the aluminum and discoloring it.

Peter

http://www.eastwood.com/glyptal-red-brush-on-1-qt.html

I agree, Greg; These engines were not over-finished when new. I am painting the firewall while I have the head off; just a little primping. As the engine is intact other than the head, I will have to live with the shame of a less-than-perfect overall job. I do plan to buy some wire hose clamps though. I have to stop sometime and get Her back together in time for St Louis; as it is I may have to come without shocks if the shop doesn’t send them back.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.