1929 DC phaeton. More pics of the body work.

Home Page Forums General 1929 DC phaeton. More pics of the body work.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Here some more pics of the body being worked on.

How’s this car coming along? Haven’t heard anything for a while……

I was wondering the same thing a couple of months back. I checked the roster and he is no longer a member.

That’s a shame, wonder if he just lost interest or the costs got too high…..good project but a little rough to start with…

He was going quite fast for a first time Pierce owner. I think he experienced delays across the board on the car. The engine was stuck when I first looked at the car and that was much earlier than when he purchased it. I had concerns as to the experience of the people working on it, but kept it to myself. A good body shop can paint any car, but dealing with wooden bodies coachbuilt cars are another story. I’m sue we will see the car pop up sometime. With luck it will be finished or at least intact and complete.

i know the engine has run, the body assembled mostly.. the chrome was a huge amount more than anticipated.. not that that was a surprise to me or most of us.

i think Richard had had the final colors and layout decided..

Hopefully we will see something from Richard soon..

Greg Long

I saw the photos of the car when it first showed up on the web and it looked like a nice solid original car.If it were mine I might have just cleaned it up,do a full mechanical and a correct new interior.It still had alot of the original finish judging from the photos.

I went back and looked, and the car was in better cosmetic shape than I remembered when unrestored. Just a mechanical rebuild to start would have been an interesting choice….it’s still a little rough, but it would have drawn a lot of attention….

Chrome costs today are crazy. The chrome bill on this car would actually buy some older restoration Classic sedans….

That is a cool photo and on a show field such a car would draw a crowd.Alot of the plating would have polished up and look just fine.It could have been restored mechanically while respecting the patina.It is a beautiful car.

This car had an odd type of rust. The car had been in a shed for decades. The dust, chaff, and other airborne materials collected on many surfaces and caused rust from the upper surfaces down.. the other problem was that it also had underside rust from being stored on a dirt floor. And in a few places the upper and lower rust had met in the middle.

The chrome was far too rough to polish up. Maybe a few pieces, but most would not recover.

When I went to look at the car I had had the same thoughts: a mechanical restoration, and leave the rest. But it truly needed more work than i had hoped to see.

It will be a very nice car when completed and on the road.. I’m looking forward to seeing it out and about..

Greg Long

Welcome back Rick!

Jak.

Hi Richard,

I get all the pictures except the last one. Was a window added to a body

panel to check the condition of the seat springs from time to time? I

appreciate following your progress on bringing back to life a rare and

important part of our country’s contribution to progress. For better or

worse, our involvement with these artifacts is an extension of ourselves

and our sacrifices, to provide a touchstone for future generations.

Hopefully they will get a glimpse of what “primitive man” could accomplish

with a pile of leather, metal, rubber, and wood. A little imagination and

passion liberally was added.

Tony; that last image is of the side of the cowl. and the ‘window’ is the opening for the side cowl-vent. Something no on cars after I think 1934? or 1935?

I too had to look hard at it for clues, to figure out what it was..

Jak, unfortunately Richard has not replied yet, the original poster is David Coco, posting the photos and asking for an update on progress.

I hope Richard does reply. and has some more progress and images to share..

Greg Long

Taking on a major restoration can be very scary.It is like building a custom home

as you have a major financial commitment with regular payments.It sounds like there are some issues here not visible in the photos.I am ever so thankful I have the cars I have in my collection today and when I got them.These cars represent to me a period of enormous progress when you consider the period of around 1880 to around 1930 a period of only 50 years.By 1930,there were television sets on the market and the first cyclotron had been built.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.