1929 dual C. Phaeton

Home Page Forums General 1929 dual C. Phaeton

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hi

Im looking for two spotlights for my 29′ 133 Dual c. Phaeton. I am also looking for the chrome tire surrounds for both side mounts. Just the surface surrounds, not the one that encapsulates the tire. I also need two mirrors with straps for said sidemounts.

thanks rick

This factory photo should help you with your restoration. Note one driver side spotlight.

Mike

This is a deluxe equipped 1929 Roadster.All the early photos of 1929s I have seen show either a tire cover made of tan Burbank fabric or black Pantasote.

The spare tires are held in place against a chrome plated pad with leather straps.The See Rite sidemount mirrors with a base to take a leather strap, I believe may be available from Bill Hirsch.

If it is a deluxe why is the winterfront body color? Also no archer? No steel side mount covers or mirrors. No wind wings. Blackwall tires. Bracket lamps. The only option is the six wire wheels from what I can see. Looks good in the showroom. The bracket lamps make it look more like a Stearns Knight or Stutz than a Pierce Arrow. I like it!

Deluxe equipped means sidemounted spares and the trunk rack.I have not seen an early photo of a 1929 Pierce Arrow with metal covers,wind wings or plated shutters.I do have in my files of Pierce Arrow literature an original accessory list for 1929 with prices.This same list was in an Arrow of some years back discussing the 1929 cars.You really did not start seeing whitewall tires until about 1932 and later.I believe in the accessory list that plated shutters could be obtained on order.The bracket lamps may have been a matter of either a client’s taste or the requirements on headlamps on certain jurisdictions.

Question from a newbee member. I have a 29′ DC phaeton. How come it has louvers in the hood and all other 29′ DCs except for one have the flaps. Diff model? Or??? Fill me in. I like the louvers because it is different.

Interesting question!The hoods with doors were initially on the 143 cars but were later supplied as a dealer upgrade on the 133 cars as I guess there was a demand. My 1929 Sport Roadster,a late summer early fall 1929 133

has this option and I believe Kumpf Motors of Denver desired a fully dressed out car for shows or display.I am only the fourth owner and have the full history.The second owner retained the car for 30 years.Kumpf delivered my car

to the first purchaser.

I was looking thru Mark Ralson’s “Pierce Arrow”” book and on page 155 he wrote

“”The 1929 Models 133 and 143. The Model 133 cars had small hood louvers arranged in seven groups of three. The larger Model 143 cars had movable doors.”””

A number of 133 cars were fitted with hoods with doors,There are factory bulletins making reference to this.Some of this information was in an Arrow of some years back.

The 1930 Model C cars had louvers till the end of the model year and then doors became standard and many refits were made. It is possible that the factory would have made doors available in 1929 as well on special order. Pierce was famous for ‘special’ orders. I have a 1929 – 1930 Correct Loraine spot with a ‘Pierce’ emblem, very rare, for mounting on only open cars. It is buried in my storage. Howevr it is really a valuable piece. How bad do you want it?

The Lorraine spotlight on my 1931 phaeton has no badge, but rather is engraved…see picture…I’ll also post pictures of badges in my collection, I believe they’re repop, showing Pierce…I’m fairly positive my spotlight is original to my car…any thoughts on the badges?

Here’s the picture of the badges, real or repop?

I have what I have good reason to believe is an original 1929 open car Lorraine Light. It appears nearly the same as either badge shown, but it has a Patent date of “Jan 13, 1920” long the bottom line above “The Pierce Arrow Motor Car Company”, but follows the the bottom curve. It looks to be nickle plate, with’anodised’ brown surface through which the shiny lettering appears.The size is 2″ x 7/8″, which is smaller than the ones used on the regular lights which pass through the window post. I have had this badge copied for use on other such lights, but they are few and far between.

Paint on the front radiator vanes was optional, Crome, Black, or Body Color. For that matter the color could be whatever you wanted as long as you were willng to wait for the factory to produce it.

The Archer was optioal. Some hated that look. Pierce was was supposed to be a conservative looking car.

The 1929 cars did not come with an archer as equipment but if a person wanted one apparently the dealer would fit the 1928 standing archer to the 1929 radiator cap.I believe the factory felt an ornament was not compatible with the smooth lines of the new car.The standing archer from what I have read caused some controversy and during 1930,the kneeling archer was introduced.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.