1929 Model 125 Engine

Home Page Forums Engine 1929 Model 125 Engine

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello all!

After a 25 year search, I finally found a Pierce. It is a 1929 (125-B-361) that is all original and complete with a 45 caliber bullet hole through the trunk and rear body! It ran recently, but supposedly suffered a cracked block when the prior owner forgot to add anti freeze. The car came with the head loose and all the peripherals in the trunk. Being the engineer and ASE master, I ran a series of tests on the block and head, and found no issues. I am currently waiting on a gasket set. Does anyone have pictures of both sides of a restored engine? Are the bolts supposed to be plain head or do they have raised lettering and/or grade marks? How about the plating/paint scheme? I assume the engine is black, and some bolts (head and some smaller ones on the left side) are chrome, not sure about the others. This engine has a chromed water cover on the left side. What experience do you have with stainless bolts/washers/ etc.? How do you properly install the distributor and time this beast? I am working the PAS/AACA library angle, but does anyone have any literature they could suggest/copy/sell that would be useful? The thermostat is the large GM type rated for 160 degrees. Is that correct?

Sorry for the myriad of questions. I have been doing two seater Tbirds and Mustangs for almost 40 years, and know them like a book. This Pierce is daunting and deserves to retain its HPOF standing. Thanks in advance for all your help! If you want to respond off line, my email is [email protected].

Regards,

Bob Coates

Hello Bob,

Congratulations on your “find”. Based on your body tag number, you apparently have a Club Brougham….a very nice body style. I will e-mail you a PASB that has engine color information in it. I can also send you some under the hood pictures and some answers to you questions.

Happy Motoring,

Chris Diekman

This photo shows the left side of the engine where many of the details are. Bolts should be plain head with no grade marks. For the water jacket I used modern stainless bolts and filed off the grade marks.

Bill

Just a suggestion, if you have the time, drive on up to Kalamazoo Michigan next week, for the PAS national meet, you will be able to ‘hands on’ look at, photograph, measure, touch and feel many 8-cylinder cars.

The 67 cars registered for the meet will be on the judging field at the Gilmore CCCA museum on Saturday morning the 30th at 10am-1pm.. That would be a great place to get all your questions answered !!

Greg Long

I have a 1931 which is similar, but not identical, to the 29 engine. You’re welcome to look at it if you’re in the Winchester area sometime. David Coco Winchester Va.

Congrats on your new venture.

I have a ’29 143(126) EDLimo that is a very late ’29 production car and is very original.

I can send you photos of anything in the engine compartment. Just drop me an e-mail with what you want pictures of and I’ll send them out.

From what I understand there were at least two types of water pumps installed on the ’29 8 cylinder so mine may look a little different than yours.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.