1929 Timing Chain and Gears

Home Page Forums Engine 1929 Timing Chain and Gears

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Has anyone worked with any manufacturer to build new timing chains and gears for the 8 cylinder cars? I traced the chains to the acme company in Brooklyn, only to find out they don’t make them, they have them made and retail them out. Egge does make them (or have them made) if you send them your old one as a pattern. Egge does not make the gears.

It appears my engine has 97k miles with the original gears and a newer chain. The chain has some wear, but is still serviceable. The gears have some wear, but are in good condition as well. The guy doing my machine work is willing to make new gears, but wonders whether it is worth the effort, and where he could find the engineering specs on the gears.

Any thoughts or ideas on whether to chase down a source for new parts, the engineering specs, or whether to put it together and run it as is?

Under Member Pages, see Parts & Services (Directory). Look under Engine Parts for the sources of timing chains.

Bob,

I purchased a chain for my Series 80 from Ramsey Products and I had it in just a few days after i ordered it.

They said that they made them “originally.”

I DK if they make, or have the gears in stock.

It is worth a call.

Good luck.

Peter

Here is the contact info for Ramsey. They told me a couple years ago they didn’t sell direct, but that might have changed. They made Egge’s chains.

Don’t know about the gears

Ramsey Products

USA Headquarters

Mailing Address

Ramsey Products Corp.

PO Box 668827

Charlotte, NC 28266-8827, USA

Shipping Address

Ramsey Products Corp.

135 Performance Dr.

Belmont, NC 28012, USA

Phone: (704) 394-0322

Fax: (704) 394-9134

Email: [email protected]

They call them “Silent Chains”””

Thanks guys. As this has been a three year plus rebuild, the memory fades. I do now remember calling Ramsey a couple of years back. They took a lot of information, including the chain specs, then called to tell me they could supply the chain, but wouldn’t sell to an owner, even though I am an ASE Master and restore cars for others. Taught me to say it was my car. It may have been the folks at Ramsey that sent me to Acme.

As they say, part of the fun of restoring cars is chasing down parts! You do get to meet a lot of nice and often interesting people.

David, feel free to chime in here. My engine is holding up your engine!

They sold to me years ago, so maybe they changed the other way more recently.

Yes, Bob, your Pierce engine is holding up my Packard engine, so get him moving on it!

You’ve only had yours at that shop for 3 years…he had one engine of mine for 7 years, so you’ve got some catching up to do!

I know nothing about Pierce timing chains, as I own a Model 43 that was apparently the ONLY eight cylinder car with an engine with timing gears, no chain!

For the record, my Packard engine (with hairline cracks between valve seats) has been at his shop almost 4 years, with him working on a fix, and I’m just about ready to pull it and send it to a block repair facility

Bob,

I went to a bearing supply house here in Tucson with my old parts and they looked up the parts by the specs since they didn’t have a listing, and I got the chain and both sprockets. They hd to order the parts. I had to machine the sprockets since they came with just the center hole. I didn’t want to send the parts to them to machine. If I was doing it again I would have them machine the sprockets. The rating on that chain is something like 1500 HP. Might be a little over kill. Jim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.