1930 steering wheel removal

Home Page Forums Chassis 1930 steering wheel removal

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello to All,

What is the correct way to remove the steering wheel on my 1930 series A sedan? My goal is also to take the horn ring off so it can be restored. I know that the club has vast bulletins, but I am trying to do this in the next day or so. Thanks to all for your help.

I think you disconnect the throttle and light switch from the bottom of the steering box, remove the horn wire, and the light switch tower from the bottom of the box, then slide up the multiple shafts running through the entire unit until the center hub and throttle and light levers are up about two inches, and reach in and unbolt the clamps to remove the center of the wheel. You do all of this trying not to break the pot metal parts on both the upper and lower unit, trying not to pull any of the shafts up more than two inches or the bronze bushings will start popping out…….. In a perfect world you should pull the entire thing out of the car and do it on the bench where you can see everything clearly. If this doesn’t make sense give me a call after 9am tomorrow at 413 530 5712. Es.

Ed,

Many thanks! You are always very knowledgeable. Due to my dad’s health we have been delayed on this project. Do you happen to know who might have an exploded view picture of the different parts of the steering column? Thanks for your time. Sincerely, Andrew (John’s son).

Nothing is available as far as I know. Take your time, don’t force anything. Call me if you need help. Good luck, Ed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.