1933 Pierce for sale, not mine….

Home Page Forums General 1933 Pierce for sale, not mine….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

…but looks interesting, although priced high? Known car? I’m not interested, just passing it on…

Matt Harwood has it for sale, a dealer, very nice fellow…

He does not show it on his website. David, where did you see this for sale ad?

Robert

AACA forums, he has a lengthy description of it on that site. I’m in no way endorsing the accuracy of his description, nor endorsing Matt, just passing it on…there are apparently (according to a well known PAS member) only a handful of this body style out there….

The description points out a number of functions on the car that are disconnected / non-functional / missing, including, but not limited to reproduction plastic (now hazed) headlight lenses.

It is a lovely P-A (color combo questionable – actually two-tone), but $129.9K is a bunch of $$$ for the car.

I believe that the description indicates the existence of only two (2) of that body style.

This Pierce is owned by fellow PAS member Bob Brown of Hinckley, Ohio – near Cleveland.

I’m sure Bob would be happy to answer any questions about the car, his contact info is in the roster.

Ah yes, Hinckley, Ohio. Sight of the annual buzzard return.

Kind of a Goth version of the sparrows to Capistrano

When I lived near Hinckley 30 years ago I don’t recall seeing any goths at their annual “Buzzard Day” festival, but back then I probably wouldn’t have recognized a goth even if I’d met one.

However, there were mile-long traffic jams, more station wagons full of kids than you could count and a huge “land office” pancake breakfast minting dollars for the Township volunteer fire department.

And every year on that usually frozen Saturday morning closest to March 15th, the Cleveland Metroparks people would bring a rehabbed turkey vulture named “Zeke” for all the little kids to see, and for the big kids, too!

Stuart,

What is a station Wagon?

I was in Hudson 30 years ago, where were you?

BIll

Bill,

Station Wagons were dinosaur-like conveyances made by such orphaned companies as Oldsmobile, Mercury, Pontiac & Plymouth and with models named Vista Cruiser, Country Squire, Estate Wagon & Sport Suburban. These wagons were equipped with ginormous 455 or 460 cubic inch V-8’s and achieved upwards of 10 MPG going downhill. And unlike their sedan counterparts, station wagons usually had a faux wood applique covering their sheet metal which either peeled-off in the car wash or if it did stick, in northern climates, would actually hold the rusted fenders and doors together when the wagon got to be about 5 years old!

Back then, we lived in Bath Twp., not too far from you.

Stu

Bill,

Us Californians call the Birds that come back to Capistrano Swallows. They are very messy and build homes out of mud in the eves of our homes.

Ken

Ah si agora me acquerdo. Mine was a Olds Custom Cruiser. Sable with afore mentioned vinyl wood siding and chocolate brown leather. After it lost about 50 # due to rust. Traded in, against my wild protests, for a British Racing Green, Chrysler mini van with biscuit leather, like a giant TC.

Ken,

I don’t envy the side affects of the swallows, but the are a hell of a lot more attractive than the buzzards.

Back in the ’60’s station wagons were adaptions of sedans that could haul lots of kid’s, Classic Car parts or lumber in air conditioned comfort long distances with a quiet, comfortable ride. In the ’70’s, station wagons were too practical to be cool so they were abandoned in favor of minivans that were also too practical to be cool. In the 80’s a comfortable ride was too gauche and the Eurotrendoids adopted small cars with stiff suspensions, great cornering capability that is never used, and road “feel”(i.e. road shock) apparently so the driver doesn’t need to look at the road. To replace the practicality of the station wagon, large trucks with stiff suspensions were fitted with passenger compartments that provide the bronco-bust’n ride now considered “correct”. The station wagon derided as an oversized “barge” is now dwarfed by these massive passenger trucks. Thank goodness Packard and Pierce-Arrow did not survive only to have their dignity sullied by the need to survive building passenger lorries.

My ’66 Chrysler station wagon has served me reliably for 34 years and hauled lots of lumber and car parts. It has no faux wood and gets 15 mpg highway. Unlike a Suburban I can go to Home Depot and close the tailgate on a 4’x8′ plywood when needed.

Jim

Jim,

Now there is a steel salesman’s dream.

Getting back to the Pierce, that car has the black enamel grill slat option. Definitely a different look.

Gents,

You left out one important “dinosaur””. My family had an AMC Rambler Wagon and it was a true “”Classic””. I remember because it said it right on the side! I rode everywhere in the cargo area of that thing on a blanket with the family dog. Yes…please don’t tell my kids I survived without a seatbelt.

James”

Hey, my 1973 Town and Country was one of my favorite cars! Ran it for almost 300K miles before it finally died. Only problem was the mileage was dismal with the A/C on.

I had a 67 Plymouth Furry Wagon and a 74 LTD Town and Country I used for my painting vehicles when me and my friends from High School were painting houses. We piled the ladders on the Roof Racks and everything else fit inside rather nicely.

We did have to add Air Shocks to keep them from bottoming out from the weight.

Ken

That is when cars were made with full body on frame construction so they could handle almost anything that was thrown at them.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.