1934 PA 836A Ebay #231344717474

Home Page Forums General 1934 PA 836A Ebay #231344717474

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

This car is for sale thru a dealer. I noticed that the hood has no vents. Also, I thought the taillights were different on a 34.

Do any of our sleuths see any other errors? I was also wondering what goes in the round hole in the rear door wood trim?

it is missing it rear door wing handles and It is listed as a SIX cylinder car and not an EIGHT.

I already sent him a message on the SIX vs. EIGHT matter.

Other than the woman acting as a distraction, did I miss something else?

The 836 was and attempt to build an “entry level” car, had stamped grill instead of louvers in front of radiator, and I believe no louvers in the hood was standard.

I’d be much more concerned about the car having a 217 cubic inch 6 cylinder engine, as stated in ad….hopefully the written ad is incorrect, otherwise someone figured that it was easier to drop what would seem to be a Mopar six in the car instead of rebuilding original engine…

If you scroll down to picture #900 or so it does show some engine pics. And it is an 8.

This dealer makes a habit of misreporting specifications. They purchased a ’36 at Auburn and last year and shortly thereafter offered it on e bay with a error filled description. Nothing like inspiring confidence.

The non vented hood is correct for the 836A. It was only in the later part of the production run that vent doors were incorporated into the hood design in order to address a overheating problem.

The ’34 836A had it’s own style tail lights, and had a different body shape for the rear of the car.

This car just sold at the Auctions America Sale in Auburn Indiana, over the Labor Day weekend. It brought something in the low to mid $40K range.

This seller is just copying the completely WRONG description that Auctions America had written on the car. It does have a Pierce Arrow 8 cylinder engine,

The car does look very nice in person, the restoration on the car was well done. At least as I could tell looking the car over in the auction lot.

I wonder what happened to the Blue on Blue ’36 that they bought last year, and offered for sale at a very high price. I asked them what they were going to do about the almost zero oil pressure, the clattering valve lifters, and the very incorrect and potentially disasterous rubber hose engine oil pressure line.

They said it had 15-20 psi oil pressure, and that was plenty. They also said their mechanic would adjust the valves, and they had no reply about the piece of rubber fuel hose suppling the engine with oil pressure.

Oil pressure on a straight 8 is normally 40-60psi, and only idles at 15psi when hot. The valve lifters are not adjustable, they are hydraulic lifters, self adjusting.

Anyway, as Joe Malone mentioned, this dealer’s offerings MUST be looked over very closely by any potential buyer.

Greg Long

If you want to see a really nice 836-A see Daniel Schmitt Motorcars in St. Louis, Missouri. I’ll enclose a photo. p.s. it has 1935 hood louvers. Don Birschel

What a nice looking ’35 836A. If you were making decisions for the top make in the US, you wouldn’t introduce your styling changes for the next year on your bargain basement model that you were bailing out on; would you?

The 1934 Model 836A originally had no hood louvers. This resulted in engine cooling problems. To solve this problem, the 836A’s were either retrofitted or equipped new with the 1934 hood with four louvers – two up and two down. This car may have been retrofitted late when only the 1935 style hood was available.

I own a 1934 836A serial#1080056, the earliest the club has listed. I’ve owned it for 7 years and have run it in 85 degree weather. It runs cool and doesn’t have hood louvers(as designed). The car is Pierce’s attempt to to save the Company by entering a broader lower cost market. Packard had the financing to retool a middle price($1,060)120 straight 8,Pierce had to do with raiding last years parts bins and cutting amenities that you would find on dressed out Model A Fords(Dual spares and dual tail lights were an extra expense on an 836A).I have been told by experts that the hood vents turned up on serial number 1080750 and above. Perhaps they were constructed in 1935. The highest serial# our club lists is 1080935. None of the experts I have consulted can support their opinions with a source(it’s very likely that nobody can).The major P.A. books shed little light on 836A’s production. I’ve never seen a picture current or period of an 836A with ’34 vents. If the factory had knowledge of overheating, it would seem that a recall would have occurred and all the survivors would have this upgrade(none do).I believe that all the “late” ones came equipped with vents, but I assert that they were for looks as a sale promotion or to distinguish them from “’34 models” to sell in a 1935 showroom. I’m looking at a period photo postcard. It shows an 836A Brougham and refers to it as a 1935 model. It may be little more than a smoking gun, but it outweighs the evidence those that disagree have produced. If you can direct me to

a source that would document how many 836A’s and when they were produced and marketed, it would be much appreciated. I’ll sleep better.

It seems to me that there was a factory suggestion for one year that was directed at overheating because of poor venting. It may have been that car. Somebody should remember this, it was a comment some years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.