1934 Pierce-Arrow 5 passenger club sedan

Home Page Forums Engine 1934 Pierce-Arrow 5 passenger club sedan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I hope someone can help us. Our engine project is stalled. We need information to get us going.

We need assembly manual or data info on crank, babbitt rod bearrings.

We also need a complete gasket set, rings, camshaft, 2 clutch plates and 2 coils.

Then engine is apart and our mechanic is waiting. The crank is at the crank shop and he needs info so he can work on it.

We appreciate any help we can get.

Glenn & Christi Wengerd

Gasket set is Olsens Gaskets, a club member. They will only have the head and exhaust manifold gaskets, you make all the rest. Rings, well that depends on pistons- who made them and correct size. It can be very time consuming to find rings, people with experience can spend twenty hours sourcing them. Consider a modern new piston, the pistons and rings are much better for oil consumption and sealing, and in the end a much better job. Expect to pay 125 to 150 per piston with rings and pins. Babbitt is a matter of choice, I used it twenty five years ago, today I would only use inserts. Machine the rod is about the same as pouring Babbitt, but you need someone with experience and must cut the crank to the correct new undersized. Camshafts are the hardest part to find for a twelve, they are different EVERY year, bit all interchange from 33 onwards. You must replace cam bearings or you WILL have problems. They are difficult to do. Clutch plates are not to hard to deal with IF you have a rebuidable core. Most cores are no longer rebuidable from past experience. If not done correctly and MATCHED to the flywheel, you WILL have problems. I have seen a huge increase in bad clutch jobs lately, as most of the old time,guys familiar with the double disk are no longer around. Correct coils are hard to find, and expensive to rewind, unless you have a show around modern replacements are fine. John Cislak may have a camshaft. Don’t forget to test yours lifters, it’s best to have a few spares when building the engine.

Short note, if your engine guy isn’t familiar and able to handle this by himself, he probably isn’t quailified to do the job. Timing chain and gears as well as oil pump should be done also. Along with valves and guides. Good luck, take your time, these motors can be challenging.

Glenn,

I concur with everything Ed said, especially the “Short Note”.

I know you were given a free year in the PAS Great Lakes Region, but you didn’t renew your membership. That is a common mistake seen all over the country. One of the best reasons to join ANY REGION covering your area is to begin networking with the experienced members in your area.

Here’s guys in the Region that I’d suggest you call first about such mechanical issues. Look in your roster: Bill Morris, Greg Long, Dave Kirchenbauer, George Quay, John Steckbeck, Stu Blair, Bernie Golias, Dan Hanlon. Some can answer all your questions, some will know who to refer you to in your part of the country.

Jan Appenzeller was the best in the Midwest, but has passed away. Cal Dyke and Jon Reus have recently used a Grand Rapids, MI rebuilder with a good reputation for Pierce 8’s, CD Machine or something like that.

Definitely use insert rod bearings for durability, and if a shop knows what they are doing it is probably cheaper. Most main bearings in these p main 8’s will last two lifetimes, so don’t replace them just to get new.

Dave Stevens

Dave Stevens

You are correct. CD’S engine service in Hudsonville,MI just completed the eight cylinder for my ’34. They detected three minor cracks in the the block. One was pinned and they installed two custom made sleeves in two bores. Then they honed the bores to 30 over to match the new pistons that I had made. they polished the crank journals and balanced the rotating assembly. I will be assembling the engine my self but they just completed another eight for another West Michigan customer.

CD’s Engine Service 616-662-1553.

By the way Glenn, get your clutch assembly rebuilt by Fort Wayne Clutch. They are very familiar with the Pierce Clutches.

Great info-thank you Calvin

By the way, I bought a complete engine overhaul gasket set from Olsen’s Gaskets at Hersey last fall. I initially balked at the price but they showed me what was in the kit and I was impressed with the completeness of the kit. Even the wooden dowels that go along the rear main. I usually make what gaskets I can myself but this will save a lot of assembly time.

Gents, it is Olson’s vice Olsen’s Gaskets.

Ed’s comment regarding complete sets is incorrect. Sandy has complete sets for most PAs, and all 12’s.

Olson’s also now has Stromberg automatic choke gaskets. I needed a pair for my 1703 and I could find no source for reproduction copper sandwich gaskets. Sandy funded my efforts to reproduce these gaskets and he now has them in inventory.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.