1934 Pierce-Arrow photo

Home Page Forums General 1934 Pierce-Arrow photo

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

A member of the PAS Facbook page by the name of Beau Landry posted this photo with the following story:

My grandfather always preferred Pierce-Arrows, and this one, pictured with my aunt, parked in this yard until sometime around 1950. Last I’d heard, it was sold to a man on Comm. Ave. in Boston. I believe it is a 1934, V-12. Curiously, it was outfitted with bulletproof glass!

Would anyone happen to have, or know of, any information on this particular vehicle?

I can’t help with the inquiry, but notice the paint over chrome radiator shell-the accuracy of that when restoring cars has been a subject of discussion in the past.

Also, I like the length of that hood, same if you bought an 8 or 12.-great pic Curtiss, thanks for sharing!

Here is another photo of the car…this is not the body currently at the Buffalo Transportation Museum…no back window. The photo shows the car has been damaged in an accident.

Car sustained damage some time between when the two photos were taken.

No damage in the first photo.

Longer front door and shorter rear door means 144 wb. Closed rear quarters in metal rather than leather covered, very interesting, wish this car still existed. Always wondered what a Club Sedan’s similar but narrower and more steeply raked rear quarters would have looked like on 147 wb chassis, especially as Town Car with convertible’s windscreen.

You are right on the doors Paul, front doors are 42″ at the belt line for 144″ wb and 37″ for a 139″ wb. As deep as the club sedan back end is, it could be a 147″-not sure though.

I tried posting this yesterday but kept having issues…must be the user.

Here is our 1934 1248 EDL profile picture for the comparison. Like the picture posted by Curtis, the radiator shell was painted recently by Wendell Shoberg to make the hood appear longer.

What a nice pic Ben. It sure looks to have the same proportions as the old pic-I bet it’s a 147″ as well.

Thanks for posting!”

Beautiful car indeed, one of the all time American greats and now very rare.

Did some scaling with other photos, almost positive it is a 144 wb chassis, the 147 sedans having 3 inch longer rear doors per Pierce practice to the end.

Gotta believe the company would have built a 144 or 147 wb Club Sedan, including in Town Car form, had the order materialized. Packard did something similar in 1937, creating a one-off lwb club sedan by using its 5 inch longer front doors. They also installed a division window to make it a Berline. For both marques the roof extension is where the specialty work was needed, though even that was probably no big deal.

Interesting commentary Paul, thanks for sharing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.