1934 ? What is it?

Home Page Forums General 1934 ? What is it?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hope this link works. If not go to you tube main page and type in 1934 Pierce Arrow. Interesting car. Never seen anything like it. Rear trunk lid has car door hinges. What’s the story?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAA4Nk3gPPc

It appears to be a European custom body. Perhaps on the continent, but not probably German because they usually use gigundus landau irons. Maybe

Belgian, or French. The air cleaner doesn’t look stock either, nice car!

Thanks for putting this on here Ed. I couldn’t help but notice the tailpipe wasn’t well vented-we’ve all done this. Maybe we should Google “pierce arrow CO mishap”” and see what we find.

peace”

Beautiful body. Air filter horn looks like Duesenberg, Duesenberg also used EE-3 carb. Front bumper and radiator shell are 1933. could be a1933 with 1934 hood. Trunk hinges are not in keep with the rest of the body.

Hi Ed, Nice car. I believe it started out in life as an 836A and sold in Europe (possibly Norway or Sweden). I believe there was a picture of it in a past issue of “The Arrow.” Like Leo said ’33 radiator shell, ’34 hood. looks like a Packard carb., and original 836A front bumper. Nice to see it survived! Bob

It’s okay, but I’m gonna get me one of these 2009 models :-). Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVxmoqL_4cw&NR=1

Hi Robert Sands, I have seen a lot of photos of Pierce-Arrows in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. This one I have never seen. Both in Stockholm and Copenhagen there were body builders making Pierce bodies. They looked all very similar to the original once.

Bob, I think you might be referring to an article in Arrow 02-4 on Hojer. Attached is the article and body seems to be similar though different.

Hi Paul,

Somewhat different; but, too many “small” touches are the same. No doubt this example had its’ front end replace somewhere along the way. Having either an 840 or 1240 hood replacing the 836A–then matching it to a 1933 radiator shell–would be pretty difficult; but, not impossible (then or now). The slanting of the rear portion of the roof, the rear window are identical to both cars, as is the framing of the windshield. I’d say the Hans Jensen shop built both, if indeed, they aren’t the same vehicle with s/m’s added.

Bob

Here are two Pierce-Arrows with bodies made by Hojer in Denmark. The Hojer shop was not far from the boarder of Germany. It is said to be 1930-31 models. Notice the bracket type of front lamps. Also the trunks must have been made spesially for the cars.

Oivind in Norway

I do not know why oneof the photo s disappear – here is the other one.

I wasn’t expecting this. I was hoping to keep a low profile.

If you want to know what it is, click link

http://palangio.tripod.com/Pierce/PierceHist.htm

Thanks Vincent for great story! It was very interesting to read!

Vincent,

What a story! You are an inspiration to those of us who get bogged down with mere engine rebuilds or fender repairs!

Regarding hearse serial numbers, I recently obtained some parts that were auctioned from a parted out 836A P-A hearse. It’s frame number was 6033 (don’t remember if it was a Henney).

Best of luck on your project.

Bob Jacobsen

Vincent, sorry to mess up your “low profile” project. Most members like to see any restoration in progress, and an owner built custom true to the era is both very unusual, and much appreciated. I am sure the editor of the arrow would love to do a detailed story on the car to share with all the membership. I sure would like to see it. How about a more detailed you tube video of the body both inside and out? It looks great! Ed

I. H. Jensen Automobile Shop in Hojer

As to the discussion of the danish built body of the 1934 Pierce-Arrow I can tell you that it was founded by Mr. Jensen in 1877. The name Hojer is the name of the little town in which he was living. As many of the automobile body builder he also started up with building horse wagons. It was his son, Hans Jensen, that in 1918 (after the ww-1) begun to build bodies on automobile chassis. As the town was close to the boarder of Germany, he travelled a lot in that country and got his inspiration for the style of his cabriolets. He employed round 20 men. The capacity in the 30ties was about 20 bodies a year. 10-11 Pierce-Arrow bodies were built in Hojer. In the beginning of the fifties the company was shut down. Enclosed is a photo of an Adler automobile delivered to my country – Norway. You van see the N for Norway at the rear.

Oivind

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.