1936 1601 EDL on eBay

Home Page Forums Buy/Sell 1936 1601 EDL on eBay

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Here’s a link to a 1936 1601 EDL that just cropped up on eBay. It is Washington State, but in in the 2010 roster was listed as owned in Georgia. Anyone know more details? Here’s the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-1601-ED-limo-Limo-jump-seats-and-divider-window-1936-pierce-arrow-1601-ed-limo-7-/111204155752?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19e448c168&item=111204155752&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_405wt_1255

Memo to self: Don’t try to link to eBay mini-pixel photos. Sorry about that..

Rick Horn knows the car if I am not mistaken. Ed

Hi Tony,

As Ed mentioned this was Ron Freeman’s car who lived in the Atlanta area. Ron passed away earlier this year and the car was sold. Ed might remember what it sold for, I don’t remember for sure. Seems like it was in the low 30s.

Nice driver but not a show car. When Ron had it (one of several cars) it needed more use and some basic service work.

Happy Motoring,

Rick

It was pulled off of ebay before the auction ended if I remember correctly. As Rick said, it was at 32k or some were near there when the auction ended early. I have never seen the car in person. It seems lately lots of Pierce cars are changing hands, and the good ones dont stay on the market long. Ed

So, that might mean one of two scenarios.

The buyer bought it thinking they could do a little work and turn a profit.

The buyer bought it and found out that it needed more work than he was willing to do, so decided to sell it.

There could be other reasons of course. Looks decent in the pictures…

Went back and looked at pictures, it appears that power steering has been added to the car. That kind of shocks me, because the ’36 shed find car that I drove on the Hershey field a few years ago steered very, very easily. Not sure about the material in the front area either, looks like some of it might not be leather…..

A 1601 doesn’t need power steering unless something is very, very wrong.

Diana will drive our 1601 if required as it steers so easily. The 1247, she won’t drive because it is so hard to steer at slow speed.

The 1601 steers – and drives – easier than our ’41 Cad 60 Special. The 1601 in the P-A Museum has proven to be a popular driver for the ladies so inclined.

That’s what I thought too, but one picture under the hood sure seems to show a power steering pump and hoses.

It’s always bugged me that people will get a worn out car, with bad steering and front suspension, and then say “they’re all like that”..when it’s not true. I believe, as you state, that the steering on the car had problems and the “fix”, instead of doing it correctly, was to add power…

Hello All,

I never saw inside the hood so I can’t tell you anything about that.

My guess would be the power steering was to assist Ron’s disabilities. Ron was a Polio survivor. No one gets an easy ride with Polio but, Ron had a massive case. He was an amazing man and accomplished a lot for someone disabled as severely as he was.

Happy Motoring,

Rick

Rick, thanks for that information….that has to be the reason…sounds like he was quite a man for sure….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.