1936 CONV COUPE

Home Page Forums General 1936 CONV COUPE

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Interesting ad for a 36 1601 back in 1952. Any idea who’s car it is now? Has a chrome engine………looks like poor taste started way back………

photos

Ed,

Bernie’s list indicates that it is a 1601 and may be last owned by a Grant Quam of Ames, Iowa, chassis #2215225, engine #314375.

There is no such person in the 2018 PAS Roster, however an internet search provides the info shown on this website with the Pierce-Arrow up front!.

Peter

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/picture-gallery/news/local/2015/09/21/95-photos-rare-cars-the-grant-j-quam-collection/72594972/

Ed,

The car also does not show up in the 2018 PRINT Roster when I did a search by both chassis and engine number.

There is a one-digit gap (2215224 — 2215226 & 314374 —- 314376) where it would be listed.

Peter

So that’s the orange one from the mid west………..as far as condition goes I shall withhold comment, they wanted 175k, and I was offering a much, much, much lower figure.

Peter & Ed, I “believe” the car pictured by Ed; isn’t the Quam car? More like a ’36 convertible coupe owned by Jim Dougherty, of Indiana. It was sold, after a while, to Sonny Abaggale (N.J.). engine #314594, Serial #2215363,

with body #438-P-25. Sonny had the car in storage when a fire destroyed this car and many others. I do have, somewhere, a post card advertising this car “FOR SALE” by Jim.

The “give away” to its’ true identity is the mention of “five seats under the top.” It’s one that got away!

Bob

So, with 5 under the top, it’s not a convertible coupe, but rather a Victoria with a rear seat?

I was never aware that Pierce bodied a ’36 in that manner. Interesting….

Sad to hear it was lost….

The large shelf area behind the front seats provides for a large enough area, if removed to install a rear seat. Irv Blonders 31 model 41 was like that also

Thanks Michael,

Here is a link with a video to the car in the auction website.

“THIS RARE CAR AND IS BEING SOLD WITH RESERVE AND SUBJECT TO CONFIRMATION OF FAMILY””

http://duncansauctions.com/listings/1936-pierce-arrow-county-club-roadster/

Gents,

I believe that Bob Sands is correct regarding the Postcard Pierce, versus the Quam Pierce.

The Postcard Pierce mentions 5-seats and the Quam Pierce is definitely not with the 5-seats.

Stu’s link, or at least the YouTube video associated with it, shows Grant Quam driving his Pierce and a quick look at the back seating shows no seating at all.

Peter

“I only collect cars I like, but I like most all cars”….or something like that, good line from video.

I’m not familiar, personally, with car, but have seen pictures of engine compartment and there are a lot of visible issues under there… I also think the auction house statement that only 3 of this body style exist is wrong…

I have seen and laid my hands on the Quam car, and lots of issues is an understatement. In 1993 it was also in a major accident. I didn’t think much of the car before the accident, and even less afterwards. I offered 35k for the car about five years ago, and they thought I was crazy, and that it was worth 300k. I think it was high bid to 90 or so at a past auction, then I was told the bid was run up to 175 by someone(shill bidder?) in the room………still a no sale. The 90 and 175 numbers were told to me by someone at the sale, not sure of how accurate. Anyways, it’s a rare and neat car, but no one should buy it without sending an expert to look it over. I know what I think it needs……….and the most correct term that is fair is “a very extensive restoration””.”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.