1936 Pierce Arrow Wheels and Instruments

Home Page Forums General 1936 Pierce Arrow Wheels and Instruments

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I have looked at several ‘36 8’s and 12’s that had wire wheels but I have been told that only steel wheels were offered in 1936 ( along with ‘37 and ‘38). Did the factory offer wires as an option or are the ones I saw incorrect. Assuming they are incorrect, does this reduce a car’s value? What about judging – points deducted? Also saw one ‘36 with white faced instruments (which I thought showed up in ‘37) . All other ‘36’s I’ve seen had black facings. What’s going on.

I have owned three 1936 cars. Generally speaking, 144 or 147 in. wb. cars did not have wire wheels. I took the wire wheels from my 136 in wb convert cpe and placed them on my convertible sedan, where they remain. The white face instrument cars were early production. Later production were the dark face instruments. Bob Sands can give you a better idea when the change occurred. Interesting that Marc Hamburger’s 36 sedan had split rim wheels, believe they were wire.

Wire wheels were available in 1936, 37, and 38 on all series cars, 8 & 12, on all wheelbases. I have factory photos of them, but most of the photos are not on my computer. Pierce Arrow usually offered several options on wheels, and often one see unusual things such as aTony mentioned about like very late model split rims, which I also have come across on another very late Series car. I also have a factory letter from the late era, talking about how they will not guarantee chrome on the special order chrome wire wheels, as they were having issues with it peeling on some cars. Also, although I no longer have them, wheel covers were offered and sold. I think they look very nice, and quickly change the look of the car. Someone offered me a crazy amount of money for my unrestored factory wheel disks, so I sold them twenty years ago as I was building my house……I regret selling them now.

Ed: I am going North for Christmas, I will look again in the factory catalog. I could be wrong, swore I never saw wires on long wheelbase cars.

Our 1936 1601 sedan has wire wheels. I believe it was first restored in the 1970’s so don’t know if they were original to the car.

The wire wheels were a primary factor in my purchase decision. The combination of the wheels, the color and lack of sidemounts makes it look kind of sporty compared to typical 1601’s.

I have a factory photo of a V-12 with wire wheels on it somewhere.

See if this loads……1936 144 inch wb. Factory photo with wires…….Tony, so you think only coupes and Convertiable Coupe’s had wires?

Sorry, photo is too big to post………

The metal artillery wheels were standard equipment. The wire wheels were offered as an option.

I have photos of a 1602 Conv Coupe and a 1601 on a 144 inch wb Conv Sedan with wire wheels, both factory photos. Won’t post here due to size.

Both my convertible sedan, and Ted Fosgate’s had wire wheels. We both took them from other cars. The factory photo of the convertible sedan in the 1936 catalog have wheel discs. Wires were getting to be passe by that time. The wires very well could have been optional though. As many of you know, I had a pair of ’56 Cadillac Derham Imperial Limousines. Drive from Rochester to Toronto with the one with 53 Cad wire wheels. Started home on Sunday, and heard this ringing noise. I broke two spokes on a rear wheel. Put the spare on and drove home. Consulting the parts book, I found that wire wheels were never offered on series 75 cars, because of their weight.

The 35 12 convertible coupe now owned by Robert Brown cam from the factory with wire wheels, which Ralph Schmidt didn’t like……so he traded them to Tom Lyons for artillery wheels, and it was very difficult to find another set for the car….which I did. He also gave away the side mount covers, which were a living hell to locate. I have a photo of Robert’s car on the Chicago Auto Show stand with the wires on it. Bob Sand’s 34 Brunn Town Car came with chrome wires also from a Chicago Auto Show photo.

I presume this is the photo Ed is talking about.

Robert

Nice

Yes Robert, that’s your car when new……….and at a show in Key Largo a few years ago, It’s one of the best Pierce Arrows in the world………..runs and drives as good as it looks.

The old Pierce Arrow rule applies…….almost anything can and was done for the customer back in the day, and over the years the different wheel options Pierced offered and used is almost staggering, especially compared to some of the more common luxury makes. My old 32 Coupe Series 54 came with factory chrome wheels. In 1930 and 1931 you could have four and possibly five choices for wheels………and that doesn’t even consider painted, chrome, or stainless.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.