1937 1701 Sedan in Mecum Auction, Anaheim, CA, 11/21-23/13

Home Page Forums General 1937 1701 Sedan in Mecum Auction, Anaheim, CA, 11/21-23/13

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Here’s the link to the above 1701, verbiage in Mecum’s listing reads:

– Matching numbers

– Unmolested

– The 26th of 34 cars to roll off the factory floor in 1937

– 3-speed Synchro-Mesh transmission with automatic overdrive and free wheeling rear sway control

– Steering box was moved forward of the front axle in 1937

– Three owner car

Seven photos of the car are included in the listing.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?CFGRIDKEY=AN1113-167995

Sold for $34,500 this evening.

Televised live on the Velocity channel.

Thanks for the info Stu!

John

The winning bidder must have been wearing a mask and thin leather gloves, as he stole the car @ $34.500.

Hats off to him, her or whomever!

It certainly sets a precedent for the value of the cars.

AUCTIONS?

“Believe half of what you see and nothing you hear.”

If someone gave you a decent 1936, 1601, sedan-you would never get it close to this kind of condition. for that amount of money. Sure, it has a “FEW” faults, looking at these pictures; however, at $34,00? I wish I were there!!

I believe you for sure Bob!

If the car was as good as it looks in photos, it was 25k light.

This probably proves that we should buy and sell our Pierce-Arrows within the club. Most non-rusty cars look good in pictures.

Unless you are there to carefully inspect the car and see it run and drive, auction results are nothing but fodder for speculation. The auction results are usually anomalies resulting from two or more crazed bidders,no crazed bidders or no knowledgeable bidders at any particular venue.

For example, I stole a ’47 Hudson at an auction once because there was nobody else there who knew how rare and desirable it was. But then last year some crazed fool paid over $100K for a ’50’s Hudson 4 door sedan that could not be worth 30 % of that. Neither transaction reflected the real world value to the wallets of knowledgeable Hudson enthusiasts.

I bought both of our P-A’s from club members and in each case the transactions were very fair to both parties.

What this auction confirms is, deals can be had at auctions given the right circumstances. I’ve seen it auto shop bankruptcy liquidations. Large expensive desirable machines going for several hundred $.

Being at these auctions with cash in hand and basic knowledge of what is up can pay off big-provided a crazy isn’t present.

Nice job by the person buying a 1701-I hope he joins the club!

I bet we see it on ebay for 75,000

Very possible Ed!-On Ebay about a year ago was a poorly described listing of a 1936 Cord Westchester with a few bad pictures. No way to know if it had a big block chevy and rear drive. A sleepy auction and $16K took the day. Turned out to be an unmolested original that ran. A few months later it was back on Ebay, moved a few hundred miles and had a starting bid at $29K. Go figure.

Auctions can be so unpredictable, and one can never know the reasons behind selling nor what it might take to buy a car.

I had a very good friend, now departed, who built a wonderful Classic car collection by going to auctions. He’d pick out the handful of cars he might want, write down what he thought was a great buy for the car, and NEVER bid above that amount. Sometimes he got one or two cars, sometimes none and he knew how to walk away.

But often there are circumstances (seller must sell, wrong people in audience, and so forth) that lead to great auction deals.

Of course, the rest of the story on this Pierce would help. Was it running, what if anything was wrong with it, and so forth….

David, I like your friends approach. His method is best for the blood pressure!

I was very tempted to go to this auction since it was relatively close but the rainy weather made me not want to sit in traffic for hours and hours.

If I had known a PA was there I would have braved the traffic just to see the car.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.