’27 Series 80 Coach Interior Light

Home Page Forums Body ’27 Series 80 Coach Interior Light

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Can anyone advise how the interior light in the roof is removed to change the bulb? I don’t want to break it of course.

Randy

Randy,

The base of the unit is screwed to the wooden cross members (supposed to be).

Grasp the bezel and rotate clockwise a touch and then anti-clockwise.

With luck it will move an inch or two and then come off.

If not, you may wish to take an aerosol can of silicon or some other benign lubricant, put the red tube into the squirter and carefully shoot a bit of the juice on to the interior bezel neck.

Use just a bit and use something that will not leave a stain in case you shoot too much of the juice.

Twist clockwise and anti-clockwise to loosen and with luck the bezel should unhook.

It is a bayonet lock.

Good luck,

Peter

Hope this can help you.

The Series 80 that is being sold on eBay has a picture of the rather tired interior that shows the wood mounting area and the base hanging from a wire below the wooden mounting area.

When you zoom in you can see the base and the wood mount area fairly clear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152253660351?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You know a car needs some serious work when you can take a clear overhead picture looking DOWN into the interior of a sedan!!

Gotta love the PAS Message Board Gents!

Hi Randy, taking the bezel off the interior light is like removing a light bulb from it’s socket.. Like Peter said: a little back and forth, but not mentioned is push UP agains the upholstery, just like you push IN on the bulb to get the pins down past the ‘humps’ in the track for the pins.

Then turn counter clock wise.. the bezel will turn about 1″ at the outside perimeter, then come free from it’s socket in the headliner/top.

Greg

Thanks, Fellows, I was able to get it off, just as you described. I was surprised that, although the outer bezel’s plating looks a little tired, everything underneath appears to be in very good condition. My milk glass is cracked so I will be scouring Hershey for a replacement.

Randy,

I have recently seen them on Ebay.

Ken

Thanks, Ken, I need to pay better attention!

Randy,

Also, one of the P-A Gents who are coming to Hershey may have one.

Peter

That is not a series 80.81 dome light. The one on eBay is oval or a rounded rectangle. A series 80.81 light lens is round, about 4″ diameter.

Greg Long

I found seversl oval lights and a similar round light but the glass was a little small. I encountered a vendor of lenses at Hershey who wants to try so I plan to pursue that path.

Greg,

Thank you for letting me know. I thought I had the wrong one in mine based on this ad. I will delete it so there is no mistakes.

Ken

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.