29, 30 or 31 Model 43 Stone Guard

Home Page Forums General 29, 30 or 31 Model 43 Stone Guard

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Does anyone have an original or 70’s reproduction stone guard mounted on their 29. 30 or 31 Model 43 Pierce? I would like to see how they were mounted. I recently bought a used stone guard from John Cislak, but there was no mounting hardware with the guard.

Bill Morris was kind enough to send me some information and photos for his 31 Model 42, but the stone guard mounting arrangement is different for his car due to different stone guard makers and differences in the crank hole area of our two model cars.

Thank you,

John

John, The 1930 leatherback coupe that member Ed Leichliter now owns has a stone guard that may be an original. It mounts on pins that require drilling the radiator shell dead center in the front top, and two holes on the side of the shell that hold two brackets. Once installed you can not remove without filling 5 holes and re-chroming the shell. I am sure he would send you photos. Most aftermarket shells have clamps that catch the side rear lip of the shell. They cause paint loss at the hood. Go to any of the A ford parts dealers web sites and you will get a good idea of this type of mounts. Karl

I can’t help you with mounting, but will make a suggestion. Have to put the stone guard up to the car, and stood back and looked at it? Get someone to hold it in place for you.

I realize it’s personal opinion, but I bought one for my Model 43, had it up on the car, and really didn’t like the look of it. Maybe it’s because I’ve tried to keep my car “unadorned” to highlight the frontal Pierce look, but it sure made the front end too busy.

Again, personal opinion, I know some cars have them and owners must like them.

John, in the emporium Frank Jones has a ’29 143 Limo for sale that has a stone guard.

You may want to contact him and see if he can send you some pictures of how his is mounted or give you information for sourcing mounting hardware.

Frank Jones, 10403 Dalmation Ave., Whittier, CA 90604-1413 H: 562 447 0363 O: same [email protected]

Karl, David and Craig,

Thank you for your responses.

My stone guard is apparently an original type that required the radiator shell to be drilled. I would never do that!

If I were to use the stone guard, I would fill the four original mounting holes and use the same type of mouthing arrangement as on Bill’s 1931 Model 42 (side brackets for weight support to shelf area of the fenders and light bar “T” brackets for holding the stone guard in place to the radiator shell).

Again, thanks everybody and Merry Christmas to all my PAS friends!

John, I agree. I would never drill holes in a perfectly good radiator shell.

Good luck with your quest to get the guard mounted to your satisfaction.

And Merry Christmas to you, too!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.