’30s Top Material

Home Page Forums Body ’30s Top Material

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

FYI

I talked with Eric Haartz last week about the top material that he has been working on for several you P-A owners of ’30 cars.

He responded that he has the pattern equipment now and is ready to start making some. He said he would send me a sample as soon as he can.

He also promised that he would have material to show at Hershey this October.

I hope to visit the Hershey tent and see his new material.

thanks Calvin

Thanks for letting us know about this. I could use the material for my ’30.

Dave

Did he say that it was going to be available to order by Hershey? Or just a sample by Hershey?

While we’re on the subject of tops, is there a preferred preservative to use on the tops? The roof on my car is just fine, but I’d like to keep it that way. Any ideas on a preservative?

David

I would think that he would be taking orders. He did not say that he would have material there to sale but he did say that he needed to get producing the top material to start recouping his investment in the pattern equipment. I think for sure he will have samples.

I don’t see if it has silicone in it as a protectant/rejuvenator a la ArmorAll. If it does I would worry about overspray onto paint as it can cause nightmares when repainting – moon eyes even if sanded and prepped to bare metal. Might mask or apply by cloth instead of spray if in doubt.

Jim

The can appears to indicate that it is endorsed by Harrtz.

Thanks Peter, I have already ordered it from Amazon. The advertising blurb clearly indicates that is it silicon free.

Thanks Peter, I have already ordered it from Amazon. The advertising blurb clearly indicates that is it silicon free.

Is there anything new to report on the new top material after Hershey? Is it now available?

Jim

James

It is now available. At Hershey I placed an order with Eric. I received it about a week after Hershey. So go for it.

Cal

My top guy is staring at a wild fire near him in Chico. I think I’ll wait

out the fire before I contact him about repairing my ripped top. Gene Clarke,

who sold me a wreck of a Westchester Cord in 1968 when I was a college student

is closer yet. He has a Tucker he has owned since 1962, a Westchester Cord,

and a convertible unrestored Cord in harms way. He has 2 buffaloes that

might be hard to place in a shelter. I shed a tear when I think of that

beautiful town of Paradise being wiped off the map. A town of 20,000,mostly

Senior Citizens, has 9 deaths so far. The hospital’s sickest could not be

evacuated, so they were moved to the basement. Part of the hospital was

lost but the were saved. Cal Fire estimates that they have it 5% contained

and that it will take until 11/30 to be done with it. I’m not threatened,

but my buddy in Chico says his truck was coated in ash and you couldn’t see

the pavement. They are not allowing the gas stations to be refilled and you

can’t find regular. Forgive my getting off topic, but recently 130,000

people were evacuated because California couldn’t be bothered with

maintaining Oroville Dam.

Eric had the new top material but it sold out, I know because I actually had ordered 2 yards right after Hershey, it came and had a defect, and he was able to scare up replacement yardage from someone who’d bought extra…because he was out of stock…

He expects to make another run but didn’t say when…

@Tony Costa (sorry this is off-topic): We’ve been in Healdsburg overnight where it is a post-apocalyptic gray and the sun is an orange ball–when you can see it–and it ain’t fog. We attended the opening reception of a HCCA display at the Sharpsteen Museum last night (the Sharpsteen was an optional stop on one of our annual meet tours this year). Even in the Bay Area Friday AM it was the same smoky gray, with the odors of burning stuff, and people were wearing dust masks–and that’s 180 miles from the “Camp Fire”” that destroyed (the City of) Paradise.

This has me thinking of how and what to evacuate if and when disaster strikes in our area.”

Having an evacuation plan is a good idea.

During the Holy fire I made plans to have my Pierce moved out of harm’s way should we need to evacuate.

Our neighborhood was right on the edge of the evacuation areas and we would have been next had the fire started jumping houses.

I still find ash around my yard here and there.

When you really sit down and figure things out, it’s amazing what you find you can just leave behind and what you would actually take should the need arise.

Stay safe, and have people lined up to move your cars should the need arise.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.