’31 P-A Sedan for sale

Home Page Forums Buy/Sell ’31 P-A Sedan for sale

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Mecum Auctions is selling “Rodger’s Classic Car Museum” in Las Vegas. A nice looking ’31 P.-A. 5 pass.(?) sedan is part of the sale.

This is a no reserve auction conducted at the museum Feb.27&28. The lot number for the car is R160. There aren’t any details about the model, etc., but there are many pictures. There is quite a wide range of late 40’s and 50’s hardtops and conv’ts. This may be your best shot at a Kaiser 4 dr. conv’t., so call your CPA and investment banker with haste.

It appears to be a Model 42, but you can’t tell if it’s a five or seven passenger as there is not photo of the rear floor or the back of the front seat. The body is the same between the two styles.

The car has a few mods. The most glaring is the downdraft carb and manifold set. I’m also not sure about the sidemount covers. They look correct for ’32 but most of the ’31s that I’ve seen have the chrome shroud around the perimeter and the color plate on the outside. Is it possible that it’s a “Salon”” car? Would that explain the extra trim on the rear fenders and the splash aprons?

Bill”

Looks like a late 30 series b with some 32 and 33 stuff bolted on.

I see it sold for $40,000. The website provides further detail; claims to be LeBaron, but won’t run on its own. I like to keep an eye on these auctions but aren’t willing to part with my cash without knowing much more about what I am trying to buy.

I’d like to know who the buyers are from these auction sales.

Are they normal guys — “hobbiests” — who will drive and enjoy the cars, and join the PAS and bring them to meets? Or are they foreign investors who just stack them away in warehouses hoping to make a buck. Or dealers looking to flip to the same.

Seriously — I really wonder who buys cars at auctions these days.

Scott, the answer is all of the above. I have seen investors pay world record prices for a Pierce Arrow, as well as dealers. Most of the dealers don’t do too well. Most auction cars have LOTS wrong with them. I see fake cars (closed to open) cars with fire truck engines, wrong parts, hidden problems, the list is endless. Most good Pierce Cars change hands between PAS members. I have bought cars at auctions, it is a risk that you assume. Once and a while a geed deal can be had…….but I think there is more down side than up to an auction car.

I just looked at the photos on the link above, it wouldn’t come up for me before. Lots wrong with the car. From the looks of the car any work done to it was poor quality at best. That just indicates every thing on the car will probably need work. 40k was all the money…….. it will take lots of time and money to clean it up.

To my very untrained eye, the somewhat garish interior was the first warning sign.

I shake my head at the concept of most collector vehicles being “investments”. Most aren’t. Collector cars are simply another example of what has been seen in the market for paintings/pictures for years. Many paintings are simply old. Some are expensive because of fads or popular taste. Some are absolutely beautiful, timeless and priceless. An “investment” is not the right reason to buy a classic car.

Not a 4 speed, 3 speed free wheeling. Engine not 1931, probably 1932. No window curtains. Missing cigar lighter. LeBaron used side spears and rock guards on fenders, but door design not theirs. Missing heavy door hinges.

Car may have started as a 1930. LeBaron tag may be a copy!

Be careful of cars like this. Restored by someone to make a buck!

This discussion is fascinating and scary at the same time, and it begs the question as to whether the auction houses (and dealers, though we know many are not diligent in researching authenticity) do or should be required to do the research necessary to disclose these types of modifications? There was a thread earlier about a certain eBay advertiser with what looked like a decent car that had a multitude of mechanical and authenticity problems that was advertised as an original car. Don’t even go there on the definition of “original””…”

Shop for your car at a PAS national meet, you get to see it run and prove itself on the tours over several days. We won’t even talk about ebay. I was at a show in Boca last week. The car that was parked next to us was listed as a Brunn Convertible Coupe from the mid 30’s. It was interesting that the owner thought it was a Brunn with a Body by Pierce tag on the cowl. What I found most disturbing is I was helping with a correct 100 point car and we lost to a car that was ……shall we say….. not even in the same league as our car. I venture to guess the car next to us would have score in the high 80’s at best, if it were not disqualified. Such is the show world. Non car people judging pre war cars when they can’t even drive a stick.

If auction houses and dealers are required to do research in order to adequately represent a vehicle they would then be open to liability should they misrepresent or just make a mistake. And often it’s too difficult to learn every facet of a vintage car’s past so even the most honest dealers/auctions are bound to miss something, and therefore be liable.

The alternative is what we have today: Dealers and auctions acquire cars and, I’m sure, do NOT want to learn the car’s history. Then they can truly and honestly claim ignorance — they only are selling a car, and it is the buyer’s responsibility to do his research.

Which is what leaves us with this really distasteful environment when you try to buy from a dealer or auction. Unless the dealer will tell you who the owner is, or was before he acquired it, and so that you can do your research, it’s almost impossible to know what you are buying.

AMEN to the advice to buy at a PAS meet or to buy and sell your car “within the family”. I do not now own a Pierce — have been shopping for a long time — but when I do, I will know the owner, how long he’s had the car, what he’s done to it, how it has been toured, and even who owned it before him. That’s the way to buy a car.

Scott. what year and series are you intrested in?

I’m hoping for a Dual Valve Model 32, 33 or 36. Actually, I’d love to find a right hand drive Pierce, Model 38, 48 or 51, but recent prices I’ve seen for them are pretty challenging.

I’m looking for an open car, preferably a Roadster but I can’t be too fussy there.

A PAS friend has shared that his car will be passed to a new owner someday, but that’s down the road a spell. But I’m not in a hurry. I just want the right car.

As far as a 4 speed transmission, it was an option in 1931. My 31 model 42 convertible had a 4 speed, it is referred to in the owners manual as the “optional four speed transmission” Trust me, it was no great honor having it in the car.

Most people having a 4 speed did not know you can shift between ‘high’, and ‘second’ without touching the clutch pedal.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.