32 8 crossbar

Home Page Forums General 32 8 crossbar

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Does any one have a front crossbar between the parking lamps, either an original or a repro that might be available for sale or loan to copy? Thanks, Allen Strong Feel free to call at 217 778 1425 or email. I have somehow ended up with 2 cars that are missing this part

Allen: there were two of them on the kitchen counter, in Johns house, one with good plating, one with marginal plating, there were a lot of other Pierce parts at the same location..

Greg Long

It’s a weird diameter, I made on a few years ago from a Home Depot shower rod for a driver……..looked ok.

Shower rods and kitchen cabinets, a new Pierce parts source I had not even considered, thanks for the help guys, I will keep looking if you think they are there Greg.

Allen I am looking for a bar too. My car is missing it and I was thinking about Buying a brass tube from McMaster Carr. 5/8″, Part number 7782T47. Then get the tube plated. They sell it in 3 foot lengths. Not sure if that’s long enough because my PA was purchased in pieces. Can you confirm that 3′ is long enough?

Allen: here is a photo of the crowded kitchen counter with the two 1932 cross bars amongst the other Pierce parts.. I’m sure it’s in a box of parts you loads up.. Probably in box number 702 through number 1077. ::) .

Find that extended-nose vice grip pliers, and You’ll find the bars.. maybe..

Greg

Another image:

If you get 300 series (T304 or T316) tube you can polish it and skip the plating.

Just FYI, when polished, stainless steel looks more like nickel than chrome.

I have a lot of stainless on my Series 80 and it matches nicely.

Stainless has no significant cast to it, while chrome has a blue cast to it.

Nickel shows a gold cast.

The shower rod / tube will be chrome, that is unless you can find one with nickel plating.

Of course, the shower tube will be a thinner wall than what Bill posted.

Another FYI, when they plate metal they first plate in copper, polish it, then plate with nickel, polish it and then plate with chrome.

Chrome will not adhere to copper, thus the intermediate step of plating in nickel, to which chrome adheres.

Can not locate this part after extensive searching, if someone has one already off a car I will copy in stainless and make several for others in need but need a pattern. Thanks to all for your responses, Allen

Great offer! Thanks Allen. Unfortunately my ’32 is 2500 road miles away. And I would have to remove and ship it. Leaving the car ‘disabled’ or at least with loose wiring and lights..

I would like to buy a cross tube when you get them made..

Thanks.

Greg Long

Is a ’29 Club Brougham the same? Mine is on the bench waiting for the engine to be assembled.

The 1932 is ‘V’ shaped, it points forward, the two bars parallel to the “V” of the radiator shell.

The 1932 was the first year for the radiator shell and louvers to be ‘V’shaped, Previous years all had a flat front

to the radiator and louvers.

See the photos above, you can see the two ‘v’shaped tubular pieces.

Greg Long

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.