32 Model 54 Radiator Removal

Home Page Forums Chassis 32 Model 54 Radiator Removal

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Author

One last photo. Here we are at the local show in Glen Ellyn. It was a beautiful day. Of course I was still hanging parts on it the day before the show.

Beautiful! How did your radiator repair go? I have the one from the ’31 in the shop; can’t wait to drive her more than 5 feet but I need a radiator!

The radiator repair and recore went fine. I think I posted a photo of the lower outlet repair in a different thread but here’s that photo anyway.

Did you convert to a modern core?

Hi Randy, a ’32 and later use a modern style, straight tube core.. it’s just expensive to find a copper multi-row heavy duty core.

Greg

Yup, it’s now got a five row straight tube core and it was $1000 for the recore and repair.

Bill

I just chased down some loud cracks and rattles in the front end. They happen when I go over bumps, either big or little. I looked and the spring shackles and shock links and didn’t see anything amiss. Then I thought “What if the shock itself is loose on the frame mounting?”” Fifteen seconds with a socket wrench proved that to be the answer as both nuts were hand tight.

All noises are now GONE!

Bill”

“Make Sure Your Bolts Are Tight!” I continue to check bolts on my cars and am finding many are loose! Beautiful Car, and getting better all the time! Keep the photos and stories coming!

See you in Oakbrook on Sunday! I’ll try to bring some cannoli. You finally get to see my car.

Ken,

I should have my first car there before 7 am and the second before 8. We’ll try to line all three cars up along the north side of Macy’s which will be in the shade all day. It’s supposed to be around 95 on Sunday.

Bill

Bill,

I spoke with the lady from the show and I’m all ready to go. I hope they aren’t really too fussy at this show while the car is washed and waxed, and I’m going to go over it again Saturday, I haven’t had the time to go over all the chrome with polish. More than happy to stand guard on your car while you get the second.

Ken

Don’t worry about my car. I bring the ’31 first because I can lock it up. There won’t be any problems at Oak Brook at 7 am Sunday. I’ll bring my special chrome cleaner for you to try.

Bill

We had lots of fun at Oak Brook Shopping Center for the 50th Anniversary of the car show presented by the Greater Illinois Region of CCCA.

It was 90 degrees and very sticky.

Please ignore what sounds like a rod knock. The jury is still out on that. After the show I changed carburetors and now the idle is even smoother and the knock quieted down significantly. Who knew? I’ve now put about 250 miles on it.

Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pa42LtQy4M

Bill, you did a great job, thanks for posting! The young lady seems to be very good at posing for the camera and very bad at interviewing…..

And to think that I was right in front of him, with my beautiful 1933 1236, good looking, articulate, and nobody interviewed me. I guess it must be because you can’t balance a nickel on a V12….

1st in class presentation Bill.

Are you going to let us see the car at the Gilmore in August? Ken, I sure hope you’re attending with the new v12.

Yes, I’m planning on it. I am going to bring the car over to Bill’s and let him drive it and see if he can find anything wrong with it. I really don’t want to drive it there, about 175 miles, and I can’t find a trailer long enough to haul it. I do have a tow vehicle, but the only trailer rental I can find is U Haul, and their longest trailer is 139 inches, the exact wheelbase of the car. I’m reluctant to buy a trailer at the moment as I have absolutely no place to store it. Anybody have any ideas? Can I have a car carrier bring it to the museum and have it held there?

The ’32 is not ready for a LONG drive up to Gilmore (200 miles). It just takes too long to work all the significant bugs out of a car that has been silent for so long.

Maybe next year.

Bill

I guess we’ll just have to wait, looking forward to seeing both very interesting cars.

John

The big bugs are easy…….it’s those little intermittent ones that drive you crazy.

Salesman speaking to me…….”this is an outstanding car with an outstanding restoration.”

I agrreed, and responded …”if you want to be outstanding on the side of the road with a broken car, this is the one to buy!”

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.