33 1242 Convertible Coupe Front Seat Wood

Home Page Forums Body 33 1242 Convertible Coupe Front Seat Wood

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hello, all. I was curious as to whether or not anybody may have information and photos of the underside of the front cushion. This is for a 1933 1242 Convertible coupe, which had 3/8″ plywood under the front seat spring assembly in it’s previous interior restoration.

Thanks in advance!

-Bill”

Thats not correct. Should be a ash frame and open in the center to see the spring frame and individual bags for the springs…………from first hand knowledge on three Pierce 12 open cars from 1932,1935,and 1936.

Thank you, Mr. Minnie. I have currently made a seat frame from 3/4″ ash, using lap joints at each corner. I have also mortised for two cross-supports (front to rear), prior to reading this. When you say open in the center, do you mean entirely open as on the base for the rumble seat cushion?

Also, slightly off-topic, I’m assuming all of the springs’ pockets would have been muslin. In tearing these seat assemblies down, only the rumble seat springs had been sewn in muslin socks. The rest of the spring assemblies had been sewn in burlap socks.

Thanks again!

David Coco can comment better on how Pierce did the springs and uhpolstery.Yes, open similar to the rumble seat. Which car did you buy? The black one at Hershey from several years ago? Great car. If you need anything else give me a ring. Ed

Excellent. Thank you again for the information. This is actually the maroon car from Hank Candler. We’re working on it at Restore Cars in Castle Rock, CO. The Hershey car is a beautiful one though, I agree.

I know Hank, nice gentleman,I have sold him some parts. Good luck!

I’ve done numerous Pierce Arrow spring sets, never seen burlap, always a cotton white or off white material.

If you tear the springs apart, make sure that you make note of where EACH spring goes. There are thicker springs along the edges, some ends are doubled, each row may have different length springs and different wire diameter, and so forth. If your trimmer just throws them in a pile, then you’ll never get them back like they were supposed to be.

Thank you for the information, Mr. Coco. I will be sure to pass this along. And thank you once again, Mr. Minnie.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.