34-35 sedan rear vent window rubber

Home Page Forums Body 34-35 sedan rear vent window rubber

• This topic has 25 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by .
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author

I need to replace the rear vent window rubber in a 1934 sedan.

Nothing is available as a single mold. I even sent the assembly to Steele Rubber, and they said mold would be prohibitively expensive for the few they’d sell.

One of the members told me he used H shaped rubber, and cut off legs of Has needed to match original.

I have a quote to make a run of correctly dimensions H rubber, which you’d take and modify to fit.

This may work on other years also. Anyone interested? A 15 foot piece, more than enough for one car (and would do two if you made no mistakes!) would be $100, if I can get 5 or 6 people interested.

Anyone know of any other method to replace rear vent rubber? I’m stumped…..

That’s how I did mine twenty five years ago, still looks good.

David, great work. As you know I have two unrestored 1934 Pierce-Arrows which need restoration. I would commit to buying 2 fifteen foot pieces. If I never got to restore these two, at least the next person would have them.

David, I will have the same problem on my ’35 club rear vents. Put me down for 15 feet.

Thanks!

Jim

OK thanks, with the above responses and a phone call I received, I believe I’ll proceed..it takes 5 weeks to get rubber made, so will get going on it…thanks!

I made that rubber in 1991, Craig Karr made it for me. I made 100 feet and sold it all in three months.

My quote is from Ames, the company that bought some of the Karr Rubber equipment and dies…they’re actually trying to find the die that was used, but that’s a long shot as dies and molds went every whichaway when business was auctioned ….I’ve worked up dimensions, but Ed, if you have a dimensional drawing or a scrap of the run you made, that’d sure help..

I spoke to Dave on the phone…….

Yes, thanks Ed…I have the calipers out and am working on the correct dimensions for the “H” that best can meet the shape of the window..and since these will need some hand shaping, have asked about how friendly the rubber compound might be to cutting and shaping….more to come…

My 1934 needs help too. Please include me . I am interested as well

Will this molding work on the other windows as well? They all need help !

An update on this project. The drawing is at the rubber manufacturers, I’ve given the go ahead to make the die and proceed with the manufacture of the rubber.

Things move slowly, that’s for sure. From this point he’s saying 4 to 6 week delivery.

Thanks for the interest, and when it’s done will let everyone know, particularly you who have shown specific interest.

Thanks! David C.

An update on the vent window rubber. I went to great pains to make sure all my dimensions were right, they made the die, they produced the rubber, I’ve paid the piper, now just waiting for it to be delivered.

It should be in my grubby little hands end of next week. I’ll test fit, and if all looks well will contact those who showed interest in this rubber.

As an update, it’s an H rubber shape, dimensions to fit around the metal framework of a 1934-35 840/845 or 1240/1245 rear vent window. Part of the legs of the “H”” will have to be trimmed off for clearance on opening the window. A 15 foot piece will be $100.

Update to follow when I receive it. thanks David C.

Rubber is here. I’ve lost my emails that I couple of you sent, so please contact me again.

One short leg of the H will need to be trimmed where the vent window opens. See pictures. A razor blade easily cuts this rubber. I test sanded with 320 grit and it cuts it, but leaves more of a matte finish. If you’re good with a razor blade you may not need to sand.

This was made using dimensions for 1934/35 sedan rear window, it may work on other years. If you need the dimensional drawing contact me. This is for the opening window only, the stationary part of the window (as on an 840) is held in with an available style rubber.

$110 which includes postage in the continental US. 15 feet, an 840 needs about 7 feet for two windows, so enough to either experiment with or do two cars. Note this is a do it yourself project, what you get is the H shaped rubber, you install and cut to fit.

Thanks! [email protected] 540-5332885

Having trouble posting pictures of rubber, email me and I’ll send them to you if interested thanks David C.

David, the check is in the mail – no really! Thanks for doing this!

Jim

Thanks, Jim! I have a lot of respect for people who do projects like this, I have a good bit of money in it with no guarantee of return.

Am fitting the first window now. Made a special tool to cut the one leg off, then it needs a little sanding to be real nice. Fitting up the first one, test fitting all around and putting upright in place, I’ll post pictures.

There are a couple of little tricks I’m learning about this, I’ll put together a set of pictures and a little “how to” for future generations!

After working with this rubber, I wish I’d done it for the front windows, too. I think it would be a better fit. The Steele rubber is not only expensive, but seems too big, and vent windows barely fit the front.

thanks David C.

upright with one side cut

old and cleaned frame

Applying upright to frame. Stationary window in frame has new rubber too, a stock item from McMaster Carr which only needs a minor modification to fit. I use thick cardboard inside the groove to clamp to, so it doesn’t deform the outer rubber.

Will post pictures when complete. Thanks dc

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.