A Norwegian Pierce-Arrow

Home Page Forums General A Norwegian Pierce-Arrow

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Baron Frederik Hartvig Herman Wedel Jarlsberg was a Norwegian aristocrat, jurist, and diplomat. He was active in Norwegian diplomacy and was some years in Paris. There he bought a Pierce-Arrow which became the body built in France. The chassis no. was B42231. According to the PAS Roster the car should then be a 1916 model 48 B4. As you see the head lamps were not the fender type. The photo was taken in 1925 in Norway and had then received a Norwegian registration number (C-1093). I have not found out the further history. What I find special is the slanting front windshield.

What a great picture.

I really like the cabriolet style retractable top.

Would be interesting to find out what ever happened to the car.

Oivind, your contributions are always so enjoyable. It is interesting

that the French would jazz up a conservative body style with a slanted

windshield, and throw in the antique (at that time) side lamps. By 1925,

this car would still perform well in comfort and speed with new luxury

cars, even Pierce-Arrows. An open ’16 48HP should top out at 72+MPH.

Can a ’25 Model “33”” 7 pass. Touring top that?”

I wonder if this body may have been transferred from an earlier chassis and placed on a new B-4 chassis.This was very common in those days.In the James Melton collection,there was a C-4 with the body and accessories from a circa

1910 Studebaker Garford.The slanted windshield was no doubt fitted so the windshield on the new cowl would line up with the roof.I think any of the open Pierce Arrows of say 1910-1920 could do 70MPH and have been told they will take the sixes of the 1920’s.Alot has to do with gearing and various ratios were available.

“Can a ’25 Model “33” 7 pass. Touring top that?”

I saw some advertising somewhere claiming 70 mph for Series 33, but that is wishful thinking. Series 33 7 pass cars have a 4.29:1 rear end ratio, the roadsters have a 3.75, and the 4-pass tourings like mine have a 4.0. I’ve briefly touched the low 50’s a few times , but both the car and I are a whole lot more comfortable at a true 45. The Series 3, 4, and 31 & 51 cars always stretch out better on the long runs of tours like the Modoc.

In 1921, a new Series 32 was driven across country and in that story which was in the Arrow some years back it was mentioned they got the car over 70 mph.Again this car may have had different gearing for such a trip.Any of these cars are probably more comfortable at 45-50 as one must take into consideration braking.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.