Arizona auctions

Home Page Forums General Arizona auctions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Someone stole the 1919 from a dumb crowd…or am I missing something?

Dave

I would agree that the 1919 appears to have sold under market, unless, as David alludes to, there’s a back story to the car that devalues it. Even if, for example, the car had been chopped up and the body was all new, it still is a beautiful car and seemingly well worth the money.

The 1913 is a very pretty car, and what a tour car for early events, and for an older restoration that money seems right, though I’m no expert on values by any means.

Hope the new owners either are in, or join, the PAS!

This 1919 has been for sale at Legendary Motor Car in Canada for $175K for some time with known history. The bidding stalled at 70K, then a sky box bidder bought it… I think they bought it back and you will see it on there site again? The new owner did not “jump” for joy. I will be very surprised if the Society gets a new member with this car, shill bidding at no reserve auctions? it can’t be!! Saturday night television has to be real!! Karl

The car is not an original car.

It was made up from various proper pieces, running gear etc. The body was build around the time my 1918 Don Lee Roaster’s interior was being done during it’s restoration in the late ’80’s early ’90’s. Measurements were taken from my car and the 1919 body was reproduced with some modifications to body style.

The 1913 48HP touring is one of two left(there’s a potential one also

in the form of a chassis). It would cost about $450,000 to produce a

Pebble Beach winning restoration on a car of this caliber. This car will

cruise all day at 55-60MPH. With it’s 4 speed and 525 cubes, it will

embarrass newer Pierces on mountain passes. At $341 K, the price that

similar 48HP Packards of its age were bringing 15 years ago, Its a very

good buy. A comparable 1913 48HP Packard would bring $550K to $725K. To

this car’s credit, it looks like it could return to Pebble Beach with a

little prep. Eric Rosenau had a reputation for not “over restoring” cars,

and did a great job on this one.

Karl and Ralph, those are two good explanations for the low price. Unfortunately, shill bidding is legal for most auctions, as one guy said, he got tired of bidding against the Coke machine in the corner of the room. The 1913 “feels” right, and as Anthony so well explains, think it was well worth the money, although surely out of my ballpark (I’m still in a sandlot and these guys are in Wrigley Field)…

A “real” decent 1919 four passenger touring sold several years ago for 115…….. Very nice 90 point car. I would expect the “roadster” to bring around 125 , is a very nice car from what I can see in the photos, and I don’t think you can restore it for 200, never mind buying or building the car. They are great drivers. Auction rules vary by state and event. It’s almost impossible to know what’s going on unless your in the room. Many auctions the reserve will be the bidder till things in the room stop. I think the venue for the car above was a poor choice. It’s a great car, and someone will enjoy it. Price is always subjective.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.