Authentic Piece or Not?

Home Page Forums General Authentic Piece or Not?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Please see the attached link, is this piece authentic?

For auto manufacturing, 10 years would put it at 1911. I am suspicious about the male figure on the 1901 side of the piece being a pull from the later archer figure.

Has anyone ever seen this medal / commemorative piece before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-Pierce-Arrow-Automobile-Co-70-mm-Bronze-Medal-For-Their-10th-Anniv-Rare-/371453965929?hash=item567c61b669

Pierce-Arrow Society reproduced this two-sided medallion some years ago. If memory serves, they were either given out at an annual meet or possibly mailed out to members.

John, I should at that the one on ebay appears to be an original.

I don’t remember receiving one of these, or ever seeing one. It could have been given out at one of the meets that I did not attend, but it seems that I would have recalled that.

This appears to be an authentic one. The originals were very heavy. The reproductions were made of an alloy (possibly aluminum) and are very light (in weight, and also a different color). I was once told that the replicated medals were made by an individual, so not sure if they were PAS distributed. The originals are relatively rare.

If you want to be 100% sure, ask him to weigh it for you. The reproductions weigh 2.1 ounces, the original will weigh 5.3 ounces.

All,

Thanks for the clarification / input.

On this piece, I had almost convinced myself that it had to be a reproduction. While the images were crisp, I thought the edge was crude and I didn’t know that they used the male image (1901 side) with Pierce that far back. Live and learn….

Again, thank you for the input!

John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.