Battery ingition inturruptor (contact points) for 1916 38 -C

Home Page Forums Engine Battery ingition inturruptor (contact points) for 1916 38 -C

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Help! Does anyone know where to find the movable ignition contact for a 1916 38-C. It has the Westinghouse Generator/Distributor, Style No. 248373B, if that helps.

If none are available, has anyone found a substitute, or have any advice on fabricating a substitute?

The one I am working on had a contact that had been filed paper thin, got loose on the lever arm and wallowed its mounting hole out. It fell out on the bench while I contemplated its condition.

The cracked spring I can replace, and the dislocated fiber rubbing block I can fix if I have to, but I don’t know what to do about the contact. A new part sure would be nice.

Thanks, any help will be appreciated.

Wayne

The dual Delco distributor was used on series 31-51- through series 36 and is an excellent replacement for the Westinghouse–magneto system. Not original but used by many with excellent results.

The dual Delco distributor was used on series 31-51- through series 36 and is an excellent replacement for the Westinghouse–magneto system. Not original but used by many with excellent results.

Leo, thanks for the tip on the dual Delco. How does that mount? Would it replace the magneto?

The dual DELCO mounts on the magneto platform. You will need two coils the drive is via the mag drive. Leave generator circuits in place to continue generator function. You will need to rewire primary coil circuit from ignition switch to the coils. Linkage to mag for advance- retard will convert to dual delco control lever. The dual delco has centrifugal adv.- retard. The hard part will be to find a good dual delco unit.

Leo,

A belated thanks for the call and add’l ideas last evening. I’ll be away from the project for a few days. If I haven’t located a replacement part by the time I’m back, I’ll rebuild the old one using one or the other of your suggestions; either a tungsten contact from a modern set of points, or a contact screw from an aircraft magneto.

Thanks again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.