Bragging Rights!

Home Page Forums General Bragging Rights!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Gents,

There was a Pierce-Arrow Key Fob (see photo) offered on eBay over the past few days and it finally sold for $186.97 (including shipping).

A few days before that item sold, I purchased on eBay the same type Key Fob (albeit, minus the dealer info on the back) for $50.68 (including shipping).

I do appreciate that I then needed to purchase a correct VINTAGE ½-inch strap, which I did for an additional $3.50.

I think that I scored a pretty fair deal.

Peter

Gents,

Here is the one that I bought!

Peter

A photo with the old stap should follow in a few days.

I did not realize that they were shaped as an arrow head. Nice find.

Al

These were reproduced in the late ’60’s early 70’s. Hard to tell an original from a repo.

Gents,

I just saw a reproduction offered by Nostalgic Reflections that has studs and nuts on the back to attach through a radiator shroud, dashboard or something the like (see link).

Those offered are made in the same manner (clossinne) the originals.

I don’t know if mine is a reproduction or what, but it will still look fine with a strap and key.

Peter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pierce-Arrow-Instrument-Dash-Medallion-Teens-1920s-Cars-Trucks-Buses/112805030825?hash=item1a43b42ba9:g:50IAAOSwdhJZcpFz&vxp=mtr

Peter: post a photo of the back of your key fob, usually that will help ascertaining if it is an original or a repro.

Greg

As Greg states, the back tells the story. The reproductions will have a flat back with no markings, although there may be a “shadow” of a makers mark from when they copied the size. Originals will either have a makers mark, or will have a dealer’s name. The dealer’s name is much harder to find, and that’s why the one you mention went high, it’s a Foss-Hughes dealer give-away. I’m a serious buyer of Pierce memorabilia, and I bought it by the way.

Shown is an original on the left (with silk band, they came with this or strap), a repro in the middle, and a dealer (C.H. Reeves, Baltimore) on the right.

You can also tell from the front, the repro has a slightly larger hexagon, and the enameling is different, but you really need to have them side by side to determine this. Again, the repro is in the middle of this picture.

There was a company called ………Fob of the month club. They reproduced hundreds of different types of watch fobs. I have seen four or five real ones over the years, and lots of modern reproductions. One should always assume EVERYTHING is fake or reproduction until proven otherwise. 95 percent of pocket watches are also fakes/modern dials.

David,

What’s with the color difference?

Are the originals brass?

I’ll post a photo of the back of my $58.68 reproduction (with shadow) tomorrow.

Peter

I don’t think it’s brass, but it’s some kind of plating.

Your question prompted me to take a closer look. The reproduction is slightly thicker, and in fact, when weighed on a postal scale, the original is 0.5 ounces and the reproduction is 0.6 ounces.

To Ed’s point, I’m in the process of writing an article for the ARROW about fakes and reproductions.

Things that have been reproduced include 1901-1911 Commemorative Medal, Picnic pinback, pocket watches (as Ed states) and fobs, stock certificates, and of course hood ornaments. There is also a lot of literature that’s been reprinted, including “The Story of Pierce Arrow” large format book, 1910 24 page glossy sales brochure, 1915 and 1919 sales brochures, and others.

I recently acquired some interesting things from the estate of one of the founders of the PAS, and based on some things I’m finding there may be more items to add to the list, still researching.

Gents,

Here is a photo of my reproduction Key Fob and of a reproduction P-A lapel pin.

Peter

Gents,

Here you go, a photo of the back of my reproduction Key / Watch Fob.

Peter

David,

Looking forward to that article on real vs fake items.

Thanks for doing this.

Rich

Gents,

GEEZE, does this mean that my GENUINE, SOLID GOLD, Pierce-Arrow pocket watch, the ones they were selling at the Fairport, NY Meet, is a FAKE?

OMG!

I was duped out of $25.00.

Peter

I’m looking forward to David’s article too.

Shucks, Peter, I’m so sorry you were “taken” on that watch…I’d give you $30 just so you don’t feel bad!

Shucks, I actually would like to have one, if anyone has a spare! I’m a sucker for anything that says Pierce.

The “fake” article is in the works, I have two other articles upcoming in the Arrow, they’re fun to write and research!

David,

I’d sell it to you, but it stopped working after 6 months.

So much for quality.

I was thinking of having my watchmaker replace the movement or put the face on one of my operable pocket watches.

Peter

That original Pierce little round battery is probably dead!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.