Brake and Clutch Pedal Rubber Pads

Home Page Forums Body Brake and Clutch Pedal Rubber Pads

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi, have the different pedal rubber pads used on Pierce-Arrow Cars ever been documented?

I have a beautiful pair which I hoped to use on my ’27 Series 80 but of course they are not the correct ones. They are oval, but my pedals are a longer oval than the rubber pads I have.

I have seen rectangular pads offered as well.

Randy,

Metro Molded has some

https://www.metrommp.com/?f=product_list_for_vehicle&search_year=1927&search_make=PIERCE-ARROW&search_model=MODEL 80&search_submodel=

Rock Auto also lists them and even uses Metro’s part numbers at a lower cost.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/pierce-arrow,1927,model+80,6cyl,952228,interior,brake+pedal+pad,1552?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+%2F

I have newer bought from either, but at least their description might help.

I have purchased many, many parts from RockAuto over the years.

I can vouch for them that they are a great site to do business with.

I have shopped Rock Auto and always had a satisfactory experience.

With that said, the pedal pads are $$$.

Thanks for the information!

I feel your pain. Wait until you have a ’33 and have to buy 2 to get the one you need.

They are about $100 less than Metro, who makes them. Figure that out.

If anyone has the long oval pads and needs the short oval pads, I have a brand-new pair I will swap and paybyhe shipping or we can swap at Gilmore next weekend.

Hi Randy, you might try this trick I’ve used. First, make sure the metal pedal on your S80 brake and clutch have square or radiuses edges, not edges worn sharp like a knife from years of grit-impregnated shoes and boot soles rubbing over the edge of the steel pedal. Grind or file flat so they are not sharp.

Then, put those oval brake pads i boiling water to soften them and make them stretchy. Wearing gloves, stretch the pad over the longer pedals of the S80, then, using either ‘C’-clamps, or vise grips, clamp the rubber pad to the metal pedal at the top and bottom. I used a piece of wood to spread out the clamp-contact area on the rubber pad.

Clamping makes the shrinking and stretching of the rubber occur on the pad near the center, instead of the part of the pad that wraps around the edge of the metal pedal, This can distort or rip the rubber pad’s perimeter wrap-around retaining edge.

I’ve had pretty good luck with the above ‘trick’. I tried it because I’ve found some of the oval pads for such a reasonable price, that I thought it was worth the gamble to see if the pad would stretch and not rip.

Greg Long

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.