Brake linings

Home Page Forums Chassis Brake linings

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have re-started the restoration of my rough ’35 845 Club sedan. When I left off of it a decade ago, I needed to find a source for the 16″ dia brake linings. Kanter only had linings to 15″. I think I am trying to find FE or FF rated liners – the code on the side the lining. The asbestos-free linings I got for a ’66 Chrysler years ago were rated FG, which is harder than FE, and they were extremely dangerous on that car – one minute acting like they were fading on and needing very high pedal pressure (even with the extremely powerful Chrysler power brake booster), and then the next they might grab and practically put you through the windshield. The solution was getting rid of the modern “FG” and replacing with the softer “FE” rated linings.

At any rate, does anyone have any sources or suggestions for getting brake linings? I have always wondered how the SW power brake system will feel and work, but I doubt it will have a chance of working properly with typical modern replacement lining materials.

I agree softer seems better. What is also important is that you get 100 percent contact, difficult to do without a Barrett Brake Doktor. I send my brakes out to a local truck firm and have not had any problems over the years. Ed

Thanks Ed, I’ll give that a try. Getting everything setup properly is important!

Jim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.