Buffalo News article on P-A Elmwood Ave building & plaque

Home Page Forums General Buffalo News article on P-A Elmwood Ave building & plaque

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

A friend sent me an interesting article from the Buffalo News regarding the restoration of the building, and finding a time capsule under the WWI memorial plaque. See link below:

https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/07/world-war-i-memorial-at-pierce-arrow-building-hides-100-year-old-time-capsule/

Bob, Thank you for posting this article which states the WW I memorial plaque is to be restored and reinstalled.

Preservation of the deteriorated plaque has been discussed separately on this message board.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2018/12/07/world-war-i-memorial-at-pierce-arrow-building-hides-100-year-old-time-capsule/

In that newsletter it says the ceremony will be the Sat before Memorial Day, wasn’t it called Armistice Day until after WWII? Jim L

When I first read it, I thought they were removing the plaque permanently, then saw that they were taking it off to restore/preserve and it would go back on. Kudos to the developer, at least the building is being saved…

Armistice Day, Nov. 11 became Veteran’s Day. The armistice took effect “in the eleventh minute, eleventh hour, eleventh day, eleventh month” of 1918.

Bill

Bill,

You’re correct, my brain fart acting up again. Jim L

Peter, I trust you meant that Armistice Day (Nov. 11) became VETERANS DAY in 1954. Memorial Day, formerly Decoration Day, has been celebrated on the last Monday in May since 1971; from 1868 through 1970, it was celebrated on May 30.

As you know, I observe both…

That is some story. The image and graphics of the Arrow’s front page make a great souvenir: It would be interesting to know who put those three copies of the same issue in the capsule behind the plaque – Herbert Dawley’s name is not mentioned; he designed the plaque and also had the personality to create a time capsule.

The Buffalo News’ report mentions Joseph Hecht’s involvement in rehabbing the building. I do not know if he is a relation to Mary Hecht but mention of him sounds like Pierce-Arrow enthusiasm is resurgent up there.

Brooks

I took this photo many years back but I can’t remember where on the building it was hanging.

Over the main entrance there also were a PAS sign telling…

Also on the rear side of the main building there was a memory plaque (top of the building).

There used to be a free standing sign on a post in front of the administration building, put up by the Society decades ago. Is the sign above the training center entrance the same one?

Brooks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.