Calling all wheel slueths

Home Page Forums Chassis Calling all wheel slueths

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

While killing time waiting for a meeting in Denver, NC, I went across the street and found the following 2 wheels at an antique store. In some discussions with other members we are at a loss as to what they are and what they fit

Here are the measurements as best I can determine

Overall OD (outer rim to outer rim) 24 3/4″, ID 22 1/2″

Rim width 4 1/4 (Outside to outside)

Rim width 3″ (inside to inside)

OD of Hub 9 3/4″ rear

ID of Hub 9″ rear

OD of Hub 5 3/4″ front

Id of Hub 5 1/2″ Front

# Spokes top 28 Lower 58

Hub Height 8″

#Drive indentions 18

Pic #3

Pic #4.

The problem we are running into is that the wheel is very narrow for the height (22 x 3??) and the hub opening seems too large for a Pierce.

Discussions have gone from Buffalo, to Houk to Rudge and from Buffalo, NY to London and Europe. Anybody know what they fit?? Any guesses??? Any more info needed??? Oh, it does have a detachable rim band.

I looked for numbers but I haven’t had them in good light.

Hello William, I think the wheels you have located are Buffalo, dental drive,, probably 23″, and appear to #5’s and most likely from a Buick or similar sized car. Your spoke count is 86, a bit unusual as most are 72. I have a set, just like these wheels, with the hubs and caps and on an approx. 1918-22 Buick Chassis. Are these wheels available?

Al

I made a counting error or my memory has gotten really short. There are 56 spokes in the lower part of the hub for a total of 84.

Hi—-I think Alan is right about them being Buffalo. BUT I seem to remember “Dental”” drive type had a castellated ring inside the large diameter of the wheel centre.. We used to call the ones that Peter has a “”Jelly mould drive”” Not an official name I’m sure. There are a set of hubs & wheel centers on eBay right now.–Enjoy winter!! –jak.”

Here is a photo of dental drive—jak.

Jak,

That’s almost the same as the L-29 Cord. Is that a triple laced wheel? Jim

Alan, Jak and Jim,

Based on our 2 continent/hemisphere review, they are believed to be Buffalo #5 wheels that would fit cars like Buicks and Overland in the late teens early twentys. Alan has in depth knowledge of these wheels and Jak has provided some distinct details. The numbers, ie 4, 5, 6 relate to the hub cap opening size.

Thanks to every one for their input.

Bill

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.