choke knob

Home Page Forums General choke knob

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Jack,

It appears that you have a FULL Length TRICO Visionall.

A photo from outside would confirm.

They are quite the Cat’s Meow!

If it works, that is great.

If not, then I can connect you with the Visionall Guy.

Also, I have two spares of that unit, one NOS.

They need to be oiled every year with light weight oil (3-in-1 oil or 10W).

If you want details on that procedure, send me an email.

The engine manifold vacuum drives the wipers after you flip the switch.

They should also “PARK” and one of the positions on the switch should bring them together in the middle of the windshield.

As soon as they PARK, you shut off the valve.

Peter

Jack,

As for the electric switches, I DK, but you can always run them back to their ends to determine what they do.

Perhaps, a dash instrument, an interior light or something in the engine compartment.

Peter

Jack,

Also, what is the big silver thing?

It looks like a top latch.

Does the top of your Series 81 come off?

Peter

Peter

Thanks for the info on the wiper system. I’m away from home but it sounds like what I have. I’ll check when I get home next week. It the Trico something that could be gotten with the car from PA or would it have been aftermarket add-on?

Big silver thing is a top latch/ My 81 is a convertible coupe. Haven’t had the top down as yet.

Jack

Peter

Here is another shot of the wipers on my 81. Certainly looks like what you are talking about.

Jack

Jack,

That is the one!

That wiper system is the TRICO VISIONALL !

They are Very Cool!

I can hook you up with THE Visionall guru, if you wish, but I believe that I listed him in the Parts & Service section of the PAS website (Paul Ayers).

He not only sells the replacement seals, but will rebuild the unit if you need.

As I posted in another thread today, you use 10W oil or 3-in-One oil to lubricant it and make it run.

Email me at [email protected] for the instructions.

Peter

Paul is a great guy. Cislak had some parts for these a few years ago, not sure if he sold them. They work great, but are very complicated to make work. If you rebuild yours, buy a vacuum pump so you can work on it on the bench. I did mine years ago running the car with a long hose on it to the bench…….wasn’t a good idea. Started and stopped the car 500 times.

Ed,

John sold me what I believe was his last Visionall a few years back.

Now I have TWO spares, one is NOS.

At the beginning of each driving season, I run a vacuum pump to one side of the Visionall unit with the car engine off, just to make sure that it runs properly.

If it doesn’t, I just let the vacuum pump suck in the oil needed to re-set the seals.

I know that I “hit gold” when the vacuum pump powers the Visionall.

From then on, the engine will do it.

Peter

Peter

Thanks. Very interesting. When I get home end of the week I’ll get to work on it. Still wondering if this was a factory accessory or an after market extra? I gather PA offered a lot of options. Seems to me wipers are covered in the 81 owner manual but I don’t have it with me at the moment. Geez, I love working on this thing, and you guys are all great.

Jack Davis

Jack,

TRICO was / is a Buffalo Company.

I don’t think back then that there was much difference between a factory accessory and an aftermarket extra.

If you wanted something on your Pierce-Arrow, the PAMCC would find it and / or make it for you.

I attach the link for the TRICo history.

According to the history, the VISIONALL was introduced in 1927.

Peter

http://www.trico.eu.com/About/News/TRICOOurHistory

Unfortunately, Trico is no longer in Buffalo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trico). They closed the original Trico plant #1 in 2002.

Robert

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.