Chrome plate or nickle plate

Home Page Forums Body Chrome plate or nickle plate

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Was Nickle plate an option in the 20’s?

Ford converted from nickel to chrome in 1930. I would say that nickel was not an option, but all that was available in the 20′, particularly the early 20’s. The parts books may indicate the finish on parts. I think the question is more “was chrome an option.”

I am sure there are more knowledgeable historians in our group, but the above is what I remember.

Industrial chrome plating was “invented” early in the 20th century, but not perfected until 1924. In 1927, chrome started showing up on some automobile parts, particularly bumpers.

My personal experience has been that chrome seemed to start really showing up on and in automobiles around 1929. Prior to that, most brightwork was nickel plated.

Chrome (for automobile decorative use, excluding hard chrome which is a totally different subject) is actually a very thinly deposited layer over brightly polished nickel. While nickel will tarnish easily, the chrome won’t, thus it became very popular for bright work…

You can read more on attached link is so inclined….

http://https://www.finishing.com/60/82.shtml

Chester,

My ’28 Series 36 has Nickel plated trim. Some of it looked pretty dull when I bought the car, but after several polishings, it looks very good. I tried several different brands of metal polish and ended up using Mothers Aluminum Polish.

Did you resolve your ignition switch problem?

Dave

Thanks all. We just want to make it right. Most parts are nickel but the bumpers are chromed. The 26 roadster we have is all nickel.

Dave, yes I did thank you! People do the craziest things when it comes to the electrical systems. Just fix it right.

My bumpers are also nickel plated.

It is strange what people can do to electrical systems.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.