Condenser

Home Page Forums Engine Condenser

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Can anyone provide the Delco number for the Series 80 Condenser? Thanks Tom

The number for the original condenser is Delco 17307…BUT I wouldn’t use a NOS one. as the internal insulation is nothing more than wax paper which has almost certainly deteriorated just from shelf life by now.

I use Onan part no. 312-0256 on my 1920s and 1930s Pierces. They were $10.95 each plus shipping from http://www.onanparts.com in April of this year. The are highly heat-resistant condensers of the common modern appearance, and may not fit inside your distributor without a little machine work to the distributor plate. Or, mount your new condenser on the coil if judging points are not that important.

I failed to give credit where credit is due–Greg Loftness, who used to work for Onan, identified this condenser as having the proper microfarad value and being suitable for our cars in a long-ago post.

George is exactly right about not using NOS condensers. Some suppliers of ignition parts for old cars try to sell them. To use them is a recipe for ignition failure. As an alternative to the Onan part, I use the same condenser as used for a ’57 Chevrolet. These are avaiable at any parts house.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.