Correct generator output

Home Page Forums General Correct generator output

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

In checking the generator output on my 1247 I found that when cold it puts out 6.38 volts and when hot 6.82 volts. I don’t know if this is OK for day time use. My old tunup chart list limits as 8.5 to 8.7 volts cold and 7.6 to 7.9 hot. The third brush is only accessable through the oval openings on the sides of the generator , which is hard figure out what is what as to the third brush adjustment. Do I need to adjust it up or leave it as is for daytime use ? Thanks again Doug

I had problems getting enough voltage and changed my voltage regulator to an electronic version. My voltage came right up to 7.5 volts from 6.3 volts (battery voltage).NOS voltage regulators are still avaiable.

If you don’t have enough juice to run the car with full lights on, the car will tell you by engaging the Startix. Your 6.8 should be OK but I prefer an electronic unit under an original cover.

Dave

I have the feeling that part of my problem may be in the voltage regulator. Last night I took the car out again and then checked the voltage output at the generator. The digital reading was jumping around so much I could not tell what the output was. I then put my battery charger on to see where the two 6 volt optima batterys were at. They were almost all the way down, which tells me the generator was not keeping up with the needs of the car which includes the electric fuel pump. My next questions are what is an electronic unit , where do I get one and how do I install it? I also wonder if I need to take the generator out and have a qualified shop check it out.

I think that I have taken care of the cooling system, as an hour of summer driving and half an hour running in driveway with no over heating indicates to me that things are under control. When I rebuilt the engine, I had Bill Lawton rebuild the water pump with a new impeller and ss water pump shaft. Thanks Doug

Voltage regulators can be obtained from Special Interest Autos.

972-722-4079 [email protected]

Jim will give you the info you need. I use two Optima batteries also, and could never keep them charged.

Water pumps need to be air tight or you have air pockets. Sealed bearings are the answer. They also eliminate the need for bearing lubricate which causes a problem with radiator cores.

I have installed a 6 volt regulator that uses the 3rd brush lead to the windings. It works great and I have used one optima battery since 2001.

All the info for hooking it up is in the 1967 issue 4 bulletin.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.